The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Trying to get more "body" in my beers... Techniques?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2008, 05:17 PM   #11
Jaybird
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated1 View Post
Somehow I had gotten the (wrong?) idea that 153F was already on the warmer/more dextrines/more body end of the mash temperature spectrum and that 155-156 was beginning to get into the warm enough to stop conversion entirely spectrum.
you're not going to see conversion stop until you see temps in the 165* range and higher.

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2008, 05:19 PM   #12
joety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Somehow I had gotten the (wrong?) idea that 153F was already on the warmer/more dextrines/more body end of the mash temperature spectrum and that 155-156 was beginning to get into the warm enough to stop conversion entirely spectrum.
I believe the spectrum is 148-158. I've been trying to mash my larger belgians at 150 as they are already going to be heavy enough. That said, I'm still working on temperature control. I think I learned from my last batch to trust Brewsmith and give the mash temperature time to dissipate through the mash before adding ice cubes and/or boiling water.

Secondaries - Sunday Night Hoppy Pale Ale
Lagering in Kegs - None

Kegged: American Wheat/Rye, Nut Brown Ale, Munich Helles, Belgian Stout, Resurrection Milk Stout, Bourbon County Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Baltic Porter

Old 12-30-2008, 05:26 PM   #13
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Few things in response:

I do use beersmith and I'm quite comfortable balancing out my recipes with a changed mash schedule

I'd prefer to stay away from English yeasts, however I may try splitting my base malt between MO and Breiss American 2 Row...

I'm going to do another batch of this beer in the next month (I already have 12 gallons fermenting and 6 gallons bottle conditioning) and I'll list what I changed and how it effected the beers.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Old 12-30-2008, 10:13 PM   #14
budbo
Beer is good

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Malto dextrine is the way to go, if all you are looking to do is add body/mouthfeel. Adjusting the mash is going to adjust the entire profile not just the body

Old 11-17-2009, 03:37 PM   #15
ClarnoBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think there also may be some confusion as to what "body" is. I think some people are thinking that more conversion or more malt will make it less "thin" and add body. With my beers, I don't think that's what I'm missing. Budbo is more accurate when he talks about mouth feel. It's plenty sweet, plenty hoppy, but also watery in the way it feels in your mouth. I wonder if the water profile also has something to do with this?

Old 11-17-2009, 03:51 PM   #16
alexdagrate
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Flaked oats or flaked rye will give it a more "creamy" mouthfeel, no?

Old 11-17-2009, 04:03 PM   #17
mitch171
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Observations from a n00b; I always think my beers tast "watery," I get dissapointed then near the end of the keg think AH! now it has body. Maybe the particular recipies you are wanting to have a fuller body just need a bit more time? Again this is coming from a n00b so I may be way off.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:07 PM   #18
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

if all else fails, you could chop off a finger and add part of your body

Seriously though, everyone else has nailed all the things you can do, they are smarter than me

On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Old 11-17-2009, 04:11 PM   #19
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3196 Times on 3101 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdagrate View Post
Flaked oats or flaked rye will give it a more "creamy" mouthfeel, no?
Flaked wheat or barley would work as well, but flaked grains will significantly increase the protein content, and cause some haziness. Not really a problem with darker beers, but would be noticeable in an IPA. If you don't mind the haze, flaked grains do add a lot to the mouthfeel though.

Doesn't adding maltodextrine basically have the same effect as just adding more Carapils to the mash?

Old 11-17-2009, 04:19 PM   #20
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

AL,

I have researched this as well and hoped to experiment in the future.

My thought right now is to mash a small portion of the grain at a higher temp. This would give you more of the dextrins and such to combat the thinner feel and not damage the whole batch.

What that ratio of the grain should be, I don't know yet. You could try 10% of your bill at 158* then sparge and add that to your fermenter. This would leave 90% of your grain bill at 153*.

Just my thoughts for right now.

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2003!!! Whoop!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Quick Reply