Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/)
-   -   True or False-Grain Crush Question (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/true-false-grain-crush-question-358665/)

d_striker 10-04-2012 01:57 AM

True or False-Grain Crush Question
 
True or false....

A grist that is crushed extremely fine with shredded husks will not leach tannins as long as pH, alkalinity, and temperature are at the appropriate levels.

TimT 10-04-2012 02:11 AM

Considering some breweries use hammer mills which basically powder the malt it is true.

BrewinHooligan 10-04-2012 03:29 AM

I have to agree that this must be true. A decocotion which boils the grains will not leech tannins if the mash ph is proper so I doubt the crush would leech tannins with proper ph.

d_striker 10-04-2012 01:29 PM

If you're going to select "False" in the poll, I think you have to give us your point of view.:mug:

TopherM 10-04-2012 03:29 PM

One variable that has been left out is pressure. One of the reasons tannins are more of a concern in a commercial brewery than a home brew scenerio is the weight of the grains can create enough pressure to extract tannins at much lower temperatures than the magic 180F number.

d_striker 10-04-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopherM (Post 4469438)
One variable that has been left out is pressure. One of the reasons tannins are more of a concern in a commercial brewery than a home brew scenerio is the weight of the grains can create enough pressure to extract tannins at much lower temperatures than the magic 180F number.

Interesting...I've never considered pressure.

So are you saying that tannins will be extracted when the grain bed is subject to pressure EVEN if pH and alkalinity are under 6.0?

kh54s10 10-04-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopherM (Post 4469438)
One variable that has been left out is pressure. One of the reasons tannins are more of a concern in a commercial brewery than a home brew scenerio is the weight of the grains can create enough pressure to extract tannins at much lower temperatures than the magic 180F number.

This may be true, but is not a concern in homebrewing.

kh54s10 10-04-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d_striker (Post 4469046)
If you're going to select "False" in the poll, I think you have to give us your point of view.:mug:

3 false votes so far and no explanations!

d_striker 10-04-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kh54s10 (Post 4469483)
This may be true, but is not a concern in homebrewing.

True...I'm still interested in the theory though. His statement alludes that tannin extraction is resultant from a factor outside of pH and alkalinity which is the central question.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:21 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.