Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Trubble with trub!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
ol' rummie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Trubble with trub!!

I've been having this problem for a while, when my boil is done, chilled, and whirlpooled, I start to siphon the wort into my fermenter, this time it was a lemongrass wheat beer, looked beautiful after whirlpooling, crystal clear the problem is when I get to the bottom of the kettle and have all the clear wort off that I can get, there is about a 1 1/4 gallon of trub left, leaving my finishing volume short. Can this problem be fixed?? ( other than dumping the trub into the fermenter )??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2008, 06:19 PM   #2
Brewfanatic
Recipes 

For now, add the trub into the fermenter as well, and you'll end up with more hop aroma in your beer in the end. In the future you can make yourself a hop bag out of a paint strainer and PVC pipe to keep the hops inside.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:23 PM   #3
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I whirlpool and rack whatever I can. The rest of the break settles out in the fermenter leaving clear beer. The cold break is hard to avoid and is harmless, the hot break is usually heavy and stays in the center of the pot for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 09-01-2008, 06:28 PM   #4
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Does hot break have any negative effect? I use a hop bag to keep hop solids out but I skip whirlpool and just run everything through the CFC, hot break and all. I figure this gives me a fast chill and I just wait till everything has settled very nicely, then rack over that. Minimal wasted wort.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 09-01-2008, 06:31 PM   #5
Beards Brews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastarine View Post
Does hot break have any negative effect? I use a hop bag to keep hop solids out but I skip whirlpool and just run everything through the CFC, hot break and all. I figure this gives me a fast chill and I just wait till everything has settled very nicely, then rack over that. Minimal wasted wort.
+1 on that. I am just getting started with this, so any unnecessary steps I avoid. I always rack into the secondary and leave the trub in the primary.
On Deck: Challenger Smash, American IPA

Yes we can!

Quick Reply