Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Trub loss

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
smarek82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Trub loss

I use the water calculator on brew365.com and had a question about the loss of water from break material, hops, etc. On this site the default number is 1/2 gal. Does that sound correct with an ounce or so of pellet hops? Should it be more....less?

Is there any constant formula to use or constant number when determining the loss from the trub?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

It really depends on your system. If you were using a hanging hop bag and a bottom drain on the kettle you'd have close to 0 gal lost to kettle break etc. For my system it does depend on the amount of hops, but there is also a small amount that gets left behind no matter what (I've worked to eliminate as much of that as possible.) It is just trial and error per system.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 05-07-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
smarek82
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thats kind of what I was figuring, trial and error.

Basically all i do is boil my wort and since I'm just using pellets this early on I dump everything into the fermenter bucket through a regular kitchen strainer (sanitized of course!!!). If need be I usually squeeze out the hops very gently.

Thanks for the input

Quick Reply