Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > trub - (hot/cold break in the fermenter)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #21
wildwest450
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjones View Post
I have brewed 4 batches since i posted this and it looks like i will always have trub in the fermentor, but yal are right it doesn't effect the taste. It just seems like no matter how hard i try to whirlpool it never works. My ground water is pretty cold now and I also used a prechiller with my ic and i cooled my wort to 68 in about 20 mins. I took the ic out stirred like hell for about 2 mins covered the pot and waited for 20 mins, then i drained and still nothing. I thought for sure i had it this time. It does seem like the cold break will appear in clumps in my carboy after like and hour or so though and then it all just dances around with fermentation starts.
How do you know if it hasn't affected the taste unless you make two identical batches and test them(one with trub and one filtered)? If you have a ball valve on your pot, you can effectively strain for $2. go to Lowes and buy a paint strainer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2009, 03:33 PM   #22
kjones
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
How do you know if it hasn't affected the taste unless you make two identical batches and test them(one with trub and one filtered)? If you have a ball valve on your pot, you can effectively strain for $2. go to Lowes and buy a paint strainer.
Well i haven't compared, i just haven't noticed any bad tastes, but i guess that is true, I wont know until i have one without trub. And i have bought like every kinda paint strainer bag they have and it just goes through it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply