Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > trub - (hot/cold break in the fermenter)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2008, 05:00 AM   #11
Thalon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

As long as you do two-stage fermentation (i.e. rack to a secondary fermenter after a while) it will be perfectly fine. If you were to leave it in the primary for a month then having the trub in there would be a problem. Rest assured that this batch is very normal.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2008, 05:08 AM   #12
kjones
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalon View Post
As long as you do two-stage fermentation (i.e. rack to a secondary fermenter after a while) it will be perfectly fine. If you were to leave it in the primary for a month then having the trub in there would be a problem. Rest assured that this batch is very normal.
The recipe I did (palmers oak butt brown) calls for 2 weeks in primary, maybe I will rack into secondary for a week after that?

Old 05-25-2008, 05:24 AM   #13
Thalon

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjones View Post
The recipe I did (palmers oak butt brown) calls for 2 weeks in primary, maybe I will rack into secondary for a week after that?
Rack to a secondary when it's done with the initial (very active) stage of fermentation. Sometimes that takes a couple days, sometimes a couple weeks or more. In most cases you can rack after a week in the primary.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:39 PM   #14
kjones
Recipes 

update: I just tryed the beer after it has been in the keg for 2 days and it is tasting great (too great really i was just gonna have a sample, but now I am just about hammered) anyway, is it ok to leave the liquid line hooked up to the keg during storage and also do you set the psi back to the carbonation number when you get done?

Old 06-07-2008, 09:55 PM   #15
nathan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have the same issue. Mine doesn't seem to whirlpool out, it just stays floating around and goes into the fermenter. Maybe I'll put a grain steeping sack on the syphon (soak it in starsan first) and see if that helps.

I have a new CFC being built for me (brother gets kegs of beer, I get new toys) and I'll probably run the return from that into a grain sack or paint strainer bag to catch the break while recirculating it into the kettle.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:44 PM   #16
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalon View Post
In that case most of my brews would be spoiled. I use whole hops to filter out most of the hot break, but the CFC generates large amounts of cold break that goes straight into the primary, and 90% of them spend 4 - 5 weeks in primary.

-a.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:47 PM   #17
newbrewr4fun
Recipes 

How are you supposed to remove the trub before frementing?

Old 06-07-2008, 11:47 PM   #18
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

That has been covered, has it not?

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 06-07-2008, 11:52 PM   #19
Demon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 10

What I have been doing to help keep the trub out of the fermenter is to go from the brew kettle into my bottling bucket. Then from the bottling bucket through the spigot into the carboy. It has been working great at leaving most the trub in the bottling bucket. Also helps aerate the wort by going from the spigot, to the funnel, to the carboy and splashing about.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:11 PM   #20
kjones
Recipes 

I have brewed 4 batches since i posted this and it looks like i will always have trub in the fermentor, but yal are right it doesn't effect the taste. It just seems like no matter how hard i try to whirlpool it never works. My ground water is pretty cold now and I also used a prechiller with my ic and i cooled my wort to 68 in about 20 mins. I took the ic out stirred like hell for about 2 mins covered the pot and waited for 20 mins, then i drained and still nothing. I thought for sure i had it this time. It does seem like the cold break will appear in clumps in my carboy after like and hour or so though and then it all just dances around with fermentation starts.

Quick Reply