New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Trub in Fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
nediver
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Trub in Fermenter

I made a Tripel IPA last night. I was using a new brew kettle with a SS Braid screen and kept getting stuck. So I ended up siphoning off the top and straining the rest. There was lots of hop material and break material that ended up in the fermenter.

I normally rack into secondary anyway for clarity, can I do this after the trub settles?

How long should I wait?

What do others do to minimize break/hop material going into fermenter? (I am thinking about using hop bags next time)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
ne0t0ky0
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I just tried a hop bag for the first time. My last brew I clogged up my siphon tap with hop and break material. This time I didn't have any clogging and the primary had much less grub and hops, so I'm a fan of the hop bag at this point. I am interested in any other techniques. Anyone using keggle false bottoms with a siphon tap having trouble with pellet hops clogging? I've heard I should be using a hop bag there as long as I'm using pellet hops.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
Bottenbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't worry about it and rack to a secondary when fermentation is finished for clarity.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
Northcalais40
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Do pellet hops work well in a hop bag? I use a slotted pick up tube in my BK which is not compatible with pellets. The only time I used them was a clusterf*ckeria. I would like to use them because of the greater variety available at the homebrew shop. Any issues with utilization or anything else to watch out for?

Old 01-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
ne0t0ky0
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Don't know just yet, I brewed yesterday with pellet hops in a bag for the first time. I like the cleanup and less hop mess in the kettle, but I won't know about utilization for a while. I've read both ways, some say it affects it others say they can't tell.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:07 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3453

It really doesn't matter either way.

Some dump everything in, without straining, just pour it in the bucket or in the funnel....Some use a big strainer that fit in the funnel for a carboy, or a sanitized 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag in the bucket...

I have done it all ways. It really doesn't matter...anything will settle.

In other words, there is no wrong way to do it, or better way, or way that will make the best beer...they all work...the choice is what will work the best for you. That's how you develop you own unique brewing process. By trying all ways and deciding what works best for you.

What I do with my IC, is chill the wort, then I lean the bottom of my autosiphon about two coils up from the bottom on the metal of the siphon. That rests it above most of the break material and trub, then I rack it to the fermenter until I'm down to that and carefully lower the siphon down into the gunk, just trying to get as much of the wort as possible without letting in the hops and break matter.

But pretty much up until I got my immersion chiller I just dumped for the majority of my batches. And I still managed to do well in contests...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #7
hoplobster
Recipes 

I've had success in just dumping everything from my boil kettle right into the carboy, save for the real dense hop sludge. I used to use a colander, but that just got clogged too quickly, so when I put the brew pot back on the stove to clear the clog, the trub just got sloshed around and eventually mixed in with the wort ... so now I just say "screw it" and dump it all in, then transfer to a keg after 12-14 days in the primary.

Everything settles out in time, so there are no worries.

Primary: Vienna-Hallertau SMASH
Secondary: (I don't believe in secondaries)
Keg #1: C02
Keg #2: 02

On Deck: English Mild - American Pale Ale

Old 01-23-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
ne0t0ky0
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
What I do with my IC, is chill the wort, then I lean the bottom of my autosiphon about two coils up from the bottom on the metal of the siphon. That rests it above most of the break material and trub, then I rack it to the fermenter until I'm down to that and carefully lower the siphon down into the gunk, just trying to get as much of the wort as possible without letting in the hops and break matter.
That's a nice move resting on the immersion coils. I'm gonna give that a try next time. Thanks!

Old 01-23-2011, 09:08 PM   #9
Gridlocked
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I'm with hoplobster. If I'm going to be short on my final volume, I'll just dump all the crud into the fermenter. Most of it will settle out in a week. If I'm dry hopping, I'll transfer to a secondary and when I do that, I put a 5 gallon hop bag around the wracking cain as a filter to keep the gunk out and I can transfer most of the liquid and leave the trub behind.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:22 AM   #10
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I do 10 gal batches with two 6 gal carboys, and usually one carboy gets all the trub/sludge from the boil kettle, whereas the other one only gets clear wort. I've tracked the two carboys throughout the process, and never noticed a difference between the "trubby" one and the "clear" one....so I've stopped worrying about trub.

(As of 10-24-2011)
Primary - Steppe 112 PA, 2x Monday RyePA
Aging - None :-(
On tap - Big Dog, Apfelwein, Steppe 112 PA

My invisible AG sculpture, with no actual sculpture and a tiny footprint.
My Kegerator goes offroading!
My Coors Home Draft dispenser for boating/beering on the go.
Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 

Quick Reply