The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Trub in 1 gal fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
JamesM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Trub in 1 gal fermenter

Last night I made a 1 gal batch of barley wine using the brew in a bag method. I knew there would be some sediment bit looking in the jug this morning there has to be about 3-4 inches settled out on the bottom. This is a significant portion of the final yield. Do I have to suck it up at this point or is there something I can do before fermentation gets going to salvage more of my beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
cooper
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
Last night I made a 1 gal batch of barley wine using the brew in a bag method. I knew there would be some sediment bit looking in the jug this morning there has to be about 3-4 inches settled out on the bottom. This is a significant portion of the final yield. Do I have to suck it up at this point or is there something I can do before fermentation gets going to salvage more of my beer?
What's your one gallon batch of Barley Wine recipe look like? If you don't mind sharing.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
JamesM
Recipes 

I'm glad you asked, I think I may have gone a little overboard.

3# Maris Otter
.5# Crystal ~100
.5# Rye
1# Honey
.25# Mollasas
half vanilla bean

.3oz fuggles 30 min
.3oz fuggles 15 min

I've started it with British ale yeast WL 005 but I think I'm going to have to dose it with some champain yeast. I'm worried that the yeast is so burried under that trub that it will have a hard time getting to work

Let me know if you have any comments about the recpie - this is my first batch of Barleywine. I'm shooting for something approaching Utopias in body and flavor

Old 01-11-2010, 04:24 PM   #5
noblesquirrel
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

as an FYI, the yeast that is fermenting is on top, not the bottom...

Brian
BJCP - C0839 Master/Mead Judge

HOPS! Homebrewers' Pride of the Southside

Old 01-11-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
cooper
Recipes 

I wouldn't be above giving it a shake too once the activity settles down a little bit just to keep it suspended but I wouldn't worry too much about it. At the very least you'll see what's going on with it and what you might want to change the next time you do it. That's what I love about homebrewing though - you can do whatever you want and see what happens and then you get to talk about it.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #7
JamesM
Recipes 

I've never heard of trub settling over time. Has anyone else found this to happen?

Old 01-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #8
MarsColonist
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

finings + crashing = for sure

Cheers!
-------------------------------

"Luck is when opportunity meets preparation" - Seneca

Austin Zealots

Old 01-13-2010, 04:20 PM   #9
cooper
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
I'm glad you asked, I think I may have gone a little overboard.

3# Maris Otter
.5# Crystal ~100
.5# Rye
1# Honey
.25# Mollasas
half vanilla bean

.3oz fuggles 30 min
.3oz fuggles 15 min

I've started it with British ale yeast WL 005 but I think I'm going to have to dose it with some champain yeast. I'm worried that the yeast is so burried under that trub that it will have a hard time getting to work

Let me know if you have any comments about the recpie - this is my first batch of Barleywine. I'm shooting for something approaching Utopias in body and flavor
How is it looking now?

Old 01-13-2010, 04:45 PM   #10
JamesM
Recipes 

It is fermenting like CRAZY. After washing out the airlock twice, I put in a blow off tube. about 1 cup of liquid had come out in the form of foam but last night it has settled down a bit. It's still gurggling every few seconds but its just air at this point. I'm not sure which way the sediment problem is going to go. You can still see a ton of it floating around. I forgot to add irish moss in the boil. Is it too late? I was thinking of boiling it in about an ounce of water and pouring it in once fermentation has died down. any thoughts??

Quick Reply