Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Trippel in Secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2007, 02:43 PM   #1
roggae
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Trippel in Secondary

i have a question about my trippel in its secondary stage. after hitting my target FG of 1.012, i racked over to a glass carboy for clarification as the beer was tremendously cloudy. well i started the secondary in the basement and after 48 hours the clarification had begun and the beer had healthy striated layers. then i read somethign about trippels need to be kept warm (basement is about 50). i brought the barboy upstairs and after 48 hours uptairs at about 70 degrees its not layering very well. there are layers, but they are not as well defined at all. my question is, what do you folks think? should i put it back in the basement, or should i leave it upstairs with the warmer temps and relax?

thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2007, 03:16 PM   #2
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Cooler temps will take long and may give a cleaner taste. Warmer quicker. But moving will really extend the time.
Just decide and leave it be untill it clears.
I'd say it depends on where you'd rather have it and how long you want to wait. I don't have any experience with trippels but bieng a High OG beer your not going to be rushing it anyway so an extended duration in secondary can only do it good.

Old 02-24-2007, 04:11 PM   #3
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think leaving it at room temp would be best. It will allow the yeast to stay active and keep cleaning up after themselves.

The Trappist I brewed was before I had any secondaries, and it went straight to bottles. It's only just now beginning to get really good, two months later. I wish I'd been able to toss it in a secondary for bulk aging before it hit the bottles.

#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Old 02-24-2007, 11:39 PM   #4
roggae
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchiest
I think leaving it at room temp would be best. It will allow the yeast to stay active and keep cleaning up after themselves.

The Trappist I brewed was before I had any secondaries, and it went straight to bottles. It's only just now beginning to get really good, two months later. I wish I'd been able to toss it in a secondary for bulk aging before it hit the bottles.

this is what i was thinking. thanks.

Quick Reply