Both times had efficienices in the mid 50s
10gal Igloo mash tun
single rest at 153-155F (first batch at 60min, 2nd batch at 90min)
batch sparge on both batches
probably too cool on the sparge water (was 168, but from what I read should be much hotter to get bed temp of 170)
thought it was mash time, so I raised it 50% on the 2nd recipe (went from 60 to 90min). I doubt the "cool" sparge drops efficiency that much so I'm inclined to believe its the grain crush. I made no attempt to correct the OG by boiling off excess water prior to hop addition.
first batch was good (palmers brown ale recipe), just lower ABV.
Hope 2nd batch doesn't suck too bad. I wanted to boil off the excess, but it was getting late last night and didn't have the 1-2 hours needed
Its a super hopped IPA so I fear its not going to be quite balanced haha.
Both batches crushed by LHBS. I just gave in and ordered a MM3 (std roller with 1/2" shaft). Hope this cures my problems
Plan to do a few test mashes with basic grains to measure consistency in efficiency before trying a new batch.