Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Transition to PM brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2007, 04:16 PM   #11
shunoshi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyPABrewGuy
FYI, the 2 gallon bev cooler that I got ran me 8 bucks at Wally World.
This is exactly what I have. Picked it up at Walmart for about $10. 2 Gallon Rubbermaid cooler. There are great instructions for converting one to an MLT right here.

I've used it for two batches so far. It's worked great and holds temperature well (I place a towel over the cover since the lid isn't insulated). You can do up to 5 lbs. of grain with 1.2 quarts of water/lb. but that is literally the maximum. Works great for doing partial boils though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2007, 04:43 PM   #12
jmalex
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunoshi
This is exactly what I have. Picked it up at Walmart for about $10. 2 Gallon Rubbermaid cooler. There are great instructions for converting one to an MLT right here.

I've used it for two batches so far. It's worked great and holds temperature well (I place a towel over the cover since the lid isn't insulated). You can do up to 5 lbs. of grain with 1.2 quarts of water/lb. but that is literally the maximum. Works great for doing partial boils though.

Put me down for endorsing the 2G cooler method. I'm terrified of any DIY projects, yet I was able to put this together no problem for about $20. The exact parts list is even posted in the thread. Definitely look into it.

I still do partial boils on my stove, but I'm just very wary of stovetop mashes. It'd seem like effeciency would be very low and sparging would be more of a challenge. Plus the cooler method is a VERY inexpensive way to teach yourself the AG process for whenever you'd be willing to take that next step.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:31 PM   #13
cd2448

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalex
Put me down for endorsing the 2G cooler method. I'm terrified of any DIY projects, yet I was able to put this together no problem for about $20. The exact parts list is even posted in the thread. Definitely look into it.

I still do partial boils on my stove, but I'm just very wary of stovetop mashes. It'd seem like effeciency would be very low and sparging would be more of a challenge. Plus the cooler method is a VERY inexpensive way to teach yourself the AG process for whenever you'd be willing to take that next step.
That sounds like a good approach. Get the small cooler and make a mini-MLT. If it's a $20 investment, that will see me through for a while until I eventually step it up to AG. I scouted around after thanksgiving for a turkey fryer set up but there was nothing doing in South Jersey unfortunately!

Quick Reply