Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Transfer choices from HLT

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
kappclark
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Transfer choices from HLT

This may seem like a lame pump question..

The HLT I am using is a 48qt Rubbermaid rectangular without a spigot. I heat the water with 2 bucket heaters on timers.

When I need to transfer water from cooler to MLT, I dip in 1 gal pitcher and add to MLT(Batch sparge, of course)

Not the most 21st century solution (but it works)

I was thinking of adding a spigot, which is probably the easiest..but if I bought a pump, could I transfer from HLT to MLT without a spigot, but how should I measure how much water is transferred ?..also wondering if the position of the pump relative to the water is important...

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 902 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1974

Hi Kappclark, that is exactly what I do. I use a 1/2 gallon pitcher, its a great combination of simple, fast, and done-by-hand . . . . hurray for lack of automation!

Old 04-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
Wellshooter
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I have a similar setup with a pump. First I heat all my water in my BK to mash temp., then I pump into the drain of my 48 qt MLT cooler and use a dip stick in the BK to determine the amount of the transfer. When mash time is nearly up I heat the remaining water in my BK to sparge temp then pump it in the drain of my HLT, again using the dipstick but usually just pump it all. Once all the water is in place (above my BK). I disconnect the pump, drain and put away, then I start to gravity feed my wort and sparge back to the BK. I never have wort in my pump so I don't have to worry about nasties too much.

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one." - Voltaire

Old 04-11-2010, 11:53 PM   #4
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I ue a 1 gallon pitcher as well. I originally had my HLT set up to gravity drain to the MLT, but found myself just using the pitcher anyways as it seemed faster and easier than waiting for a gravity drain through the small 3/8 tubing. I ended up redoing my stand and put the cooler HLT at the same level as the MLT and have been pleased w/ the simplicity and effectiveness of just using the pitcher.

Maybe I just prefer lowtech solutions??

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 04-12-2010, 12:24 AM   #5
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
I ue a 1 gallon pitcher as well.

Maybe I just prefer lowtech solutions??
I will stick with the pitcher method for now ... I have figured out that one of the plus items of my new setup is having ALL of the strike/sparge water just a few scoops away, inside.

This weekend was very windy both days and cold... normally I wld choose not to fight the elements (although I could) .. but I didn't have to worry abt that ... and the EdWort's HPA is chugging along very nicely now ...

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Quick Reply