Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Too much liquid left in my mash tun?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2011, 06:39 AM   #1
j-dub
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Too much liquid left in my mash tun?

Friends, after 6 months of extract brewing I am making the transition to AG! I have made a mash tun from a 10g Igloo cooler. I have made a false bottom from a piece of perforated stainless steel and put together some fittings, ball valve etc... I tested it tonight by filling it with a few gallons of water and then draining. After the tun had stopped draining, I found that it still had a half a gallon of water in it. After doing some research it seems that this type of false bottom usually abandons more liquid in the tun than some others. I read one example for estimating mash water volume, and it even used 0.5 gallons in the example equation (maybe they used 0.5 to make the example easy?):

http://www.brew365.com/technique_cal...ter_volume.php

I can't help but feel like this is too much, and will kill my efficiency. I am hoping some of you who have a similar set-up will lend some advice.

YIB, JDub

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 06:45 AM   #2
GroosBrewz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-dub View Post
Friends, after 6 months of extract brewing I am making the transition to AG! I have made a mash tun from a 10g Igloo cooler. I have made a false bottom from a piece of perforated stainless steel and put together some fittings, ball valve etc... I tested it tonight by filling it with a few gallons of water and then draining. After the tun had stopped draining, I found that it still had a half a gallon of water in it. After doing some research it seems that this type of false bottom usually abandons more liquid in the tun than some others. I read one example for estimating mash water volume, and it even used 0.5 gallons in the example equation (maybe they used 0.5 to make the example easy?):

http://www.brew365.com/technique_cal...ter_volume.php

I can't help but feel like this is too much, and will kill my efficiency. I am hoping some of you who have a similar set-up will lend some advice.

YIB, JDub

I have a 13 gallon rectangular igloo mash tun with a bazooka screen and no false bottom and I leave approximately .25 gallons behind. If worse comes to worse, you can compensate for the extra liquid by upping your grain bill a bit. Costs more in the long run, but you can at least get your efficiency up.

Tap 1- JubelAle Clone
Tap 2- Evening Bite Pale Ale
Tap 3- Twilight Clone
Tap 4- Dicks Danger Ale Clone

"Today I felt like burning some calories....So I found a fat kid and set him on fire"

Old 11-01-2011, 07:41 AM   #3
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3238 Times on 3139 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Batch sparging or fly? If batch sparging, the easy solution is to tilt the cooler to drain the rest of the wort out. That's what I did when I used a 10 gal Igloo cooler MLT.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
Paulgs3
Yeast Buddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
Batch sparging or fly? If batch sparging, the easy solution is to tilt the cooler to drain the rest of the wort out. That's what I did when I used a 10 gal Igloo cooler MLT.
+1

I tilt, but I don't go crazy. I entered into BeerSmith my deadspace and calculated my volumes to take into account that loss. I tilt until it becomes a trickle and move on to the sparge. I then sparge until I hit my preboil volume. Whats left should come out in the sparge.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 543 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 10

If you are batch sparging, or better yet doing a double batch sparge, the runnings left in the tun are fairly low gravity and won't impact efficiency that greatly. Tilting the tun will also work...RDWHAHB

Old 11-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4784 Times on 3479 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Did you have a piece of tubing hooked up to your ballvalve for your test? The reason I ask is when the level of the liquid drops, the tubing into the runnings works as a siphon and "pulls" the liquid out from the MLT.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #7
huge1s
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Did you have a piece of tubing hooked up to your ballvalve for your test? The reason I ask is when the level of the liquid drops, the tubing into the runnings works as a siphon and "pulls" the liquid out from the MLT.
dip tube!

Old 11-01-2011, 07:07 PM   #8
ozzy1038
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As said, tilt or install a p/u tube. I use a chest cooler and tilt. Virtually no wort is left.

Primary: Hopped Up Brown

Bottled: Litehaus Wheat, Orange APA, Rauchbier, Willy's Cream Stout

Kegged: Tank 7 Clone renamed "Le Ferme" (dryhopped cascade, sorachi), Caramel Amber Ale, Trout Bum APA, 3 Dogs APA

Gallons Brewed Since June: 53.5

Old 11-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #9
eltorrente
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Just for comparison, I also use a 10gallon Igloo cooler. I have a false bottom with a dip tube that gets down pretty low in the cooler.

I tested it the other day and it only left exactly 8ounces of liquid behind.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:18 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4784 Times on 3479 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Yes, you need a diptube. But I was serious about needing tubing from the ballvalve to the fermenter. Try it! Do it without any tubing and then do it with the tubing. The tubing should end lower than where you start, like on the ground in a fermenter, and it will "pull" out the liquid like a siphon.

Quick Reply