Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Too Much Chocolate Malt?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #11
Newbeerguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd View Post
Poor attenuation and too much residual sweetness are the first things I think of.
I agree with usfmikeb and BigEd, too much crystal malt for the style. Personally I'd cut down the crystal to about 8-10%. I'd keep the chocolate malt at 8-10% as well. Depending on how roasty you like your porters I think 1-2% black patent and 1% roasted barely work well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 12:19 AM   #12
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah, this will be a sweet, caramely porter. My porter recipe has equal amounts of choc malt and crystal, both at ~9% of the grain bill, plus a bit of debittered black and smoked malt.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:56 AM   #13
ezzieyguywuf
Recipes 

I remember why I chose such a large proportion of crystal: my last amber that I mad had 20% crystal, and I was really happy with the malty/caramely profile of it. I decided to expand on that with my porter, so kept the crystal at 20% and added a bunch of chocolate to sort of balance it out. I'm looking for a rich, full-bodied porter, I'm even considering adding some lactose next time I brew it to give it a thicker feel. I think at that point, though, I'd def. be hard to justify classifying it as a porter. Well, I guess we'll see how this thing turns out, thanks for the feedback guys.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #14
RandomBeerGuy
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 23

It sounds like you want a porter but made a stout or a baltic porter.

Click'Clack Drink'Drunk - 99.9 KISW The Mens Room
----------------------------------------------------

Old 09-19-2013, 05:25 AM   #15
jbock220
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I'm researching with a similar recipe in mind. According to Ray Daniel's "Designing Great Beers", it appears that one difference between Porter and Stout is the significant amount of Roast Barley or Black Patent in the Stout.

I'd be curious to know, do you remember if you brewed this, what ultimately went into it, and how it came out?

Quick Reply