Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Too much boil off?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
DanaDana
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Too much boil off?

In advance, sorry if this has already been answered, I can't seem to find exactly what I was looking for. I had just complete a SMaSH with Pilsner Malt and Soveirgn Hops and my post boil amount was MUCH lower than calculated.

I have done plenty of all grain batches and I typically hit my final voume either right on or very close. I was planning to make 6 gallons and came out with 4 gallons at 1.074 (target OG was 1.048).

I calculate my mash, sparge and pre /post boil amount and usually have a boil off rate of 1.2 gallons per hour.

I only did a 50 min boil and started with 7 gallons. Can this missing wort just be due to a more vigourous boil? It hasn't happened to me before, so I just want to be cautious. I only turned up the burner a tad bit.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Yeah a more vigorous boil can result in a higher boil-off rate. If you want you can dilute it but I'd just leave it and see how it turns out.

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 09-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
DanaDana
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I boiled some water and added it the next morning. It was for a beer swap so wanted to make sure I had some after the trade.

Quick Reply