Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Too much boil off

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
kevin476
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Too much boil off

Well ill try not to be too long here but brewing in a garage while its about 20 degrees sucks, this was one of my first AG brews and while boiling there was sooo much steam coming out of my keggle I couldnt tell how my boil was going or my volume. This was supposed to be an arrogant bastard clone and I boiled for 6.5 gal to about 3.5-4 Im pretty bummed about it and this brew is done fermenting but what would you guys do? I was thinking of brewing a light pale ale and blending? Oh and I didnt add more water because when I racked to my ale pale I did it form a few feet up and there was so much foam i couldnt see my volume, stupid mistake but I learned.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Did you measure your OG before fermenting? I have topped off post boil in the past. You can always top off at secondary and add some fruit or honey to mix it up a bit...seeing as how it's not a clone anymore. I've even topped off when priming for bottling. Worst case, you will still be drinking beer

Old 01-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
kevin476
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Really? you think just add enough water? I had thought about it but had no idea if it would work, I guess I might as well taste it and maybe just experiment in glasses...

Old 01-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
bmunos
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I had the same thing happen. I would add water because If yours came out like mine it will taste like cough syrup if you dont! hahah

Old 01-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #5
kevin476
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

ya I havent even tried it yet but I imagine its gonna be rough! lol

Old 01-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 427 Times on 327 Posts
Likes Given: 660

I routinely add bottle water to my brews when they come up short. I've gotten to the point that I can predict how many bottles to add by reading the OG and end up with exactly the volume I want. Living in an area with temperature extremes, makes it hard to nail down a boil off rate.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
kevin476
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
I routinely add bottle water to my brews when they come up short. I've gotten to the point that I can predict how many bottles to add by reading the OG and end up with exactly the volume I want.
I have done this too, but before I ferment. In this case I had no idea how much I had in my bucket when I pitched the yeast. This has been fermenting for 2 weeks.

Quick Reply