Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Too low FG?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2014, 12:30 AM   #1
DonRikkles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Too low FG?

Low FGs have been sort my brewing MO. At times, they were too low. I recently upgraded my process because I thought that my fermentation temperatures were too high. I bought a chest cooler and put it in my basement.

My most recent brew, an Irish Red, slightly missed the OG mark (1.068 projected, 1.062 actual) but way undershot the projected FG. Beersmith projected 1.017 and I came out with 1.008. I pitched WLP004 at 64, it went up to 70 for about 36 hours during the peak fermentation, then back down to 60 where it's been for the past week. The beer is delicious. It has the medium-heavy body I was looking for, has the flavor profile I was trying to get, and is spot on with color. Instead of being in the low 6% abv, it's 7.1%.

Is this a real problem? Should I try to find out why? Is 70 too hot for WLP004?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2014, 12:40 AM   #2
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 557 Posts
Likes Given: 170

I have never worried about what my FG was. If you are brewing all grain you can somewhat control the FG by changing the mash temperature and working on the amount of unfermentables going into the wort.

I am not sure about the ideal temperature of WLP004 but I like to stay in the lower half of the recommended range for each yeast.

I wouldn't worry too much, you just have a little bit stronger of a beer.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:56 AM   #3
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 351 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Beer tastes good. Beer has the mouthfeel and quality you want. Why do the numbers matter?

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS