The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Too crazy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
yuval
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Too crazy?

I had this idea for a brew a few weeks now and i just saw the episode on graff NB did, it's a blend of mead, cider and beer, the idea is to make each of them separately and then blend.
The beer is a simple one 50/50 maris otter and vienna malt boiled for 3 hours with OG of about 1.090 hopped to 90 ibu's with Northern brewer, make 8 liters of it and let it ferment with medium attenuating english yeast like fermentis S-04 dry yeast.
For the cider use a fresh squeezed apple cider, starting OG of say 1.070 ferment it with white wine yeast, Lalvin DV10 also 8 liters.
As For the mead any honey is ok as long it's assertive enough, with character, OG of about 1.070 ferment it with champagne yeast, also 8 liters.
When they all fermented out blend them in a secondary carboy, there is another twist here, pour inside a bottle of Pomegranate Port Style Wine(yes such thing do exist, at least here) and a small bottle of lambic beer or wild yeast insted and some french oak and let it sit together for 4-6 months or so.
Anyone done something like that? what do you think? would work out? too crazy? it should be quite tart and dry and a little funky with a little malty caramel sweetness underneath

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
billl
Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If homebrewers let "too crazy" stop them, we'd probably all still be drinking something like miller lite.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:08 AM   #3
treehousebrewing
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I say do it! When all three batches are ready pull samples from each one and blend them in a pint glass to see what you like best, then make a big version of that!

Old 11-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
dlester
Mo-Fo-Xing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Wow, you have a lot of different alcohols going on there. I mixed fermented pomegranate, mead and fortified it with Brandy. My son-in-law didn't do to welll with that combo. Please post the results and if you survive the taste testing, LOL.

Good Luck
DL

Old 11-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
huntingohio
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 10

There graff didnt have mead it was just cider and beer, however I say go for it!!

P1 Strawberry bannna melomel
p2 mixed berry cyser
p3 lemon ginger melomel
2 gallon fermenting kit is OTW!!!

Quick Reply