Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > toasted 2 row subbing for MO?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
defenestrate
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default toasted 2 row subbing for MO?

so i'm going to make an esb to unload some challenger, but i dont have MO. i used BM's recipe as a guideline and saw that he has roughly 20% (toasted @ 350 for 10-15 min i think) toasted 2 row in his grist with the rest being 2 row. whats everyones experience with this? i dont have any MO to compare it will but i'm going give it a shot regardless.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

If you toast- make sure the grain IS NOT CRACKED already....Maris Otter and two-row are similar although it tends to have a cleaner sweet slightly nutty flavor. Your beers still gonna be damn good with just two row but slightly different. The gravity contribution of the MO is slightly higher than 2 row as well so adjust accordingly

Old 05-04-2011, 02:01 PM   #3
defenestrate

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scinerd3000 View Post
If you toast- make sure the grain IS NOT CRACKED already....Maris Otter and two-row are similar although it tends to have a cleaner sweet slightly nutty flavor. Your beers still gonna be damn good with just two row but slightly different. The gravity contribution of the MO is slightly higher than 2 row as well so adjust accordingly
i'm one of those bulk grain horders so its certainly not crushed im going to toast it a few days ahead and keep it in a sealed bag-i saw someone on here doing that so i figured why not... not sure if that helps lock in the toast?

i think i'll brew it again shortly after and not toast and come back with the differences.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I'm not too sure what that does either other than preventing it from absorbing moisture and flavors....post how things go

Old 05-04-2011, 02:59 PM   #5
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 10

You won't get the same flavor as MO with toasted malt, though it will add a nice biscuity, warm character to the beer - especially at 20% of the grist! I used to toast malt a lot and found 20 min at 350F gives a wonderful cheddar goldfish toasty/nutty quality without the cheesiness. You want to let the grain sit for about a week in a paper bag to allow some of the harsh aromatics to dissipate. I've never heard of putting toasted grain in a sealed bag... adding freshly toasted grain to a beer without aging is a good way to get off flavors.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #6
defenestrate

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scinerd3000 View Post
I'm not too sure what that does either other than preventing it from absorbing moisture and flavors....post how things go
Quote:
Originally Posted by bierhaus15 View Post
You won't get the same flavor as MO with toasted malt, though it will add a nice biscuity, warm character to the beer - especially at 20% of the grist! I used to toast malt a lot and found 20 min at 350F gives a wonderful cheddar goldfish toasty/nutty quality without the cheesiness. You want to let the grain sit for about a week in a paper bag to allow some of the harsh aromatics to dissipate. I've never heard of putting toasted grain in a sealed bag... adding freshly toasted grain to a beer without aging is a good way to get off flavors.
ok, that makes sense... i'll toast it tonight and brew it up next week.

i was going to add about 6-8 oz of amber malt, think thats not neccessary with the toasting of 2 row? i know it won't take the place of MO, just hoping it will help combined with a higher mash temp and a touch of c-pils to get some good backbone.

for comparison purposes maybe i'll skip the amber so i get a clearer idea of what i get from the toasting. should be fun.

Quick Reply