Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Timing on going all grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #11
CrystalShip
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrubDog View Post
I studied this forum, watched a ton of YouTube videos a started with AG out of the gate. Never brewed an extract batch and never looked back. The recipe database is awesome and I've always been happy withe the outcomes.

Go for it!

+1 to this, I also read "The Everything Homebrewing Book"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 12:43 AM   #12
ipso
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OClairBrew View Post
…If you can make oatmeal, you can brew all grain….
Classic!

I was all-grain from the get-go. At this point I literally think extract brewing is more complicated – trying to convert recipes and such.

The only recommendation I have is get BeerSmith or ProMash. I was a hard head and built spreadsheets and wanted to calc everything from the ground up and made everything way too complicated. Somehow I saw that effort as part and parcel to the all-grain purity. Don't do that.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:40 AM   #13
igotworts
Recipes 

Default this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipso View Post
Classic!

I was all-grain from the get-go. At this point I literally think extract brewing is more complicated – trying to convert recipes and such.

The only recommendation I have is get BeerSmith or ProMash. I was a hard head and built spreadsheets and wanted to calc everything from the ground up and made everything way too complicated. Somehow I saw that effort as part and parcel to the all-grain purity. Don't do that.
Totally agree and good advice. Watched father in law brew extract with grain and it was too much of a circus. Then I priced out DME up here ($15/kg!!) and decided all grain was the way to go. My only beer thats disappointed me was a kit beer I tried to tweak- never again. I use beertools.

Full wort boils, big starters= great beer.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:55 AM   #14
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1910 Times on 1182 Posts
Likes Given: 2742

Wow! Not much to add, it's pretty much all been said. Partial mashes just confuse the crap out of me, extract is boring. That's just me, I'm not judging anybody.

All grain is a lot of fun and not hard to do. As others have said, just school up a bit before you go for it and brewing software is a big plus!

Old 09-05-2012, 03:24 AM   #15
tonyc318
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipso
Classic!

At very least use an app on your phone. I've done that so far as I have an iPad. It's helpful for the calculations.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:47 AM   #16
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 505 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 13

My brew partners and I screwed up our first few all-grain batches, but each one was a learning experience and we were just more determined to get the process right instead of going back to extract batches. You'll probably mess up a few things, but as long as you realize what went wrong then you can research how to fix it. I don't think you're going to regret moving to all-grain.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:03 AM   #17
hvjackson
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As others have said, if you're not intimidated, go for it. A couple pieces of advice from a recent all-grain convert:

1) It definitely takes longer, especially the first time. Plan for 3 or 4 extra hours over an extract brew, although you will be able to cut that down once you get the hang of it.
2) Don't try a crazy mash procedure your first time. Aim for a middle-of-the-road mash temp (say, 154 F).Your first time with the all-grain equipment you're almost certain to be off by a few degrees. Make notes, and have hot and cold water handy to correct.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:12 AM   #18
chumpsteak
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I would suggest you make sure you can control proper fermentation temps and understand proper yeast pitching before you go all grain. Just saying that those are the two biggest things that can ruin beer in my opinion and I'd hate to see you get discouraged if you get a bad batch on your first all grain attempt. If you've got those things under control and the right equipment then I say go for it.

Quick Reply