New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > timing for dry hopping in a keg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
erockomania
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default timing for dry hopping in a keg

I'm considering dry hopping the keg for this next batch and I was wondering what the best timing was for that. Should I simply use the keg as a secondary for several days then CO2/refrigerate? Or simply dry hop it at the same time I'm about to CO2/refrigerate it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
kcpup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by erockomania
I'm considering dry hopping the keg for this next batch and I was wondering what the best timing was for that. Should I simply use the keg as a secondary for several days then CO2/refrigerate? Or simply dry hop it at the same time I'm about to CO2/refrigerate it?
There are a lot of threads in this forum on dry hopping in the keg. Search and you'll find a lot of information.

I dry hop in the primary using an extra fine nylon bag weighted with a stainless steel bolt. I'll let it go for 1-2 weeks, add hops for 7-10 days then rack to keg. You'll find a lot of opinions on time to dry hop when in the keg. Some say it takes longer for the flavors to seep in due to lower temp. Lots of people appear to leave the.hop bag in keg for 2-3 weeks then remove. That is assuming that the keg is at serving temperature.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #3
hamiltont
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I dry hop with pellets in the keg for 7-10 days @ room temp using a woman's knee high nylon. Then into the kegerator, hops & all. The cold temp keeps the hops in check. Never had an issue with off flavors or a clogged dip tube. YYMV Cheers!!!

If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Old 11-11-2011, 02:10 AM   #4
enkamania
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 11

My last two have been dry hopped in the keg. Wrap them in cheese cloth and enjoy!

Wasn't it a millionaire who said, "Imagine no possessions"?

Old 11-11-2011, 03:17 AM   #5
bkirkland
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I dry hop in secondary for 3 days the crash cool for three then if needed I'll add hops to a hop bag and just leave it! My beer don't last long!

HB on IPhone

brew well ;>)

Old 11-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #6
daveooph131
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

I've dry hopped in my keg. Use a tea ball and tie fishing string to it then use a bobber so you can fish it out when you want. Of course sanatize. I usually leave it the entire time and have never had bad flavors as a result.

Quick Reply