Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > time in primary - a uk professional brewer's technique

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
BOBTHEukBREWER
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default time in primary - a uk professional brewer's technique

Hi all, I spent this morning talking to the owner of a 360 gallon brewery. I asked about time in primary. He waits until fermentation is underway, then removes 4 gallons and ferments this out at 27 deg C, to determine ACTUAL final gravity. The main brew is fermented at 18-20 deg C until it gets to 0.002 above the FG, it is then racked off the yeast into the chiller. So fermentation ON the yeast is 7 to 10 days only. I know that the perceived wisdom on this forum is to ferment out and leave on the yeast for 14 to 21 days. I myself ferment on yeast until I judge the end point for my bottling technique, this is usually only 4 to 6 days. The owner has agreed to taste some of my beers and critique them, I will share this with the forum in due course. Happy Brewing New year to everybody!

By the way, he pitches 10 kg of yeast sludge from previous brew into 360 gallons of wort, this is 6 oz per 6 gallons, I pitch 1 to 1.5 lbs, so I would appear to be over pitching.....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #2
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Bob your setting a bad example for the n00bs. Im sure a brewery has time constraints that home brewers don't have to worry about.

An interesting topic anyway.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Great info Bob! Mind naming the brewery? Maybe I'll know if their beer is any good.

This is similar to the "fast-ferment test" mentioned by Kai(ser).

END TRANSMISSION

Old 01-09-2009, 05:58 PM   #4
BOBTHEukBREWER
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I will ask if they mind me quoting them. I will also ask if time constraints eg maximising profitabilty is an issue. The brewery has won many awards such as best beer (I am not saying which type) in class in whole of UK. I personally would make the best beer I could, because there are 500 other breweries competing with you. Time would not be an issue.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:10 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Most commercial breweries turn out their beer really fast...gee, look at Budweiser they turn their beers over in what 14 days as well?

I can see several reasons why their beer would come out fast, repitching on highly active yeast for one thing...And they probably even filter before bottling right, and/or force carb as well?

So that negates the need for any long term clearing and/or bottle conditioning time as well...or they ship only in kegs..again reduced time frame...

And do they pasturize? Which kills the yeast...So the lifespan/timeframe again is NOT as necessary.

A lot of things that work for the commercial big boys don't translate well to the homebrewer...Remember they actually do have to worry about things like autolysis, hotside aeration, and oxydation, that are boogiemen to us, on a smaller scale, not trying to consistantly reproduce something on a commercial basis in a time frame that suits the marketplace not the tastebuds of the consumers.

So yes it's interesting information, but I agree with Wildwest, (especially at this time of year with so many n00bs watching) it does send a bad and or confusing example to them.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-09-2009, 06:12 PM   #6
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 32

In the recent BYO, Stone said they also brew a small batch of the beer as a test. I think they raise the temp and put it on a stirplate for 2-3 days. Since actual flavor isn't a concern, they can fast ferment it this way to verify the potential FG of each batch.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:13 PM   #7
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Bob your setting a bad example for the n00bs. Im sure a brewery has time constraints that home brewers don't have to worry about.

An interesting topic anyway.
That is the biggest problem I see with the conventional wisdom surrounding homebrew. A lot of it comes from professional brewing, because that's where the money for research is, but professional brewers have a different goal than homebrewers. They need to make money, we need to make great beer. Moving beer out of the larger primary into conditioning tanks will allow more beer to flow through the pipeline, allowing for more revenue.

Homebrewers don't need to concern themselves with as much turnover as possible, so we should take the time to let the beer do its thing.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 01-09-2009, 06:22 PM   #8
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

A lot of of commercial brewers I know are looking for a 5 - 7 day ferment. Some 3 - 4 days

They have an advantage. They know the exact process inside out and are doing much lager batches. They have a lot more experience.
You only need to look at my 8 day mild (drinking in 8 days!) to see what can be done.

BUT IT IS NOT FOR THE INEXPERIENCED unless they don't mind the chance of making crappy beer.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:22 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarleyWater View Post
That is the biggest problem I see with the conventional wisdom surrounding homebrew. A lot of it comes from professional brewing, because that's where the money for research is, but professional brewers have a different goal than homebrewers. They need to make money, we need to make great beer. Moving beer out of the larger primary into conditioning tanks will allow more beer to flow through the pipeline, allowing for more revenue.

Homebrewers don't need to concern themselves with as much turnover as possible, so we should take the time to let the beer do its thing.
I'm going to quote you on this, my friend after you graduate from brewschool....Don't forget your roots!!!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-09-2009, 06:32 PM   #10
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I suspect we're speaking about low-gravity cask ales where really fresh yeast character is desired and relished. Yeast health is of monumental importance, as well. The vast majority of British ales are intended to be consumed quite young.

The Basic Brewing podcast from the 1st of year has some conversation about just this very topic, as well as typical British brewery techniques- including milling grain in the very same room where their open fermenters are, which flies in the face of conventional wisdom regarding the potential for Lactobacillus infections.

http://cdn4.libsyn.com/basicbrewing/...01-09casey.mp3

Quick Reply