Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Is it time for me to try partial mash brewing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2007, 04:33 AM   #11
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

I endorse the Very Big Grain Bag approach and late extract addition. If you have two pots, mash in one, then 'batch sparge' the grain in the other!

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2007, 03:32 PM   #12
Rook
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I ended up going to PM on my 4th batch. I built a mash tun that lets me mash just over 5lbs of grains. Its great becuase I don't have to stress out about my mash going PERFECTLY becuase I don't depend on it for much of my fermentables. I like the fact that I'm not limited by what grains I can use, frankly I'm only limited by the fact that I can't mash all of my fermentables higher or lower to achieve different results of body/fermentability. Its a great system for me and of my last 3 batches, each one has sucessively been the best beer I've ever made.

Unlike a previous poster, I don't feel any real desire to go to AG right now. PM is a little more fool proof than AG is, and when I use DME and add the extract near the end of the boil, the beer doesn't have the little 'twang' that my extract batches used to have, they just taste like beer.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:40 PM   #13
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook
Unlike a previous poster, I don't feel any real desire to go to AG right now. PM is a little more fool proof than AG is, and when I use DME and add the extract near the end of the boil, the beer doesn't have the little 'twang' that my extract batches used to have, they just taste like beer.
Yeah, I heard that. I still do PM's alongside my AG's---mainly to supplement the base sugars in a high-OG brew. Some of my best batches have been PM. And had I not been given a big truckload of awesome used brewing equipment (that included a 50L stainless steel MLT with false bottom, and a 10 gallon mash cooler that also had a professional spigot and false bottom setup), I'd probably still be doing just PM's. But when that stuff just fell in my lap, I had to try it out. Shortly thereafter, I bought a Barley Crusher and a 55 lb sack of gleneagles maris otter.

I think, for me, the main benefits of AG are the low cost of bulk base grain, and the amount of control I have over the proportion of fermentable:unfermentable sugars. I've had problems as of late with LME not fermenting out worth a damn (f*ck you, Laaglander! My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my hefe. Prepare to die!). With all-grain...I get to control that by just keeping the mash temps in the lower range.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-06-2007, 05:48 PM   #14
Rook
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Evan, you bring up the cost aspect, and you're right. I had neglected that in my post. I basically refuse to use LME at this point, DME is better for me in almost every way (except that powder has some really goofy properties)

Old 07-08-2007, 02:01 AM   #15
RadicalEd
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I'm personally that once I get past the "kit or 2 to build confidence" stage, I'll jump straight to PM's. There's no real increase in necessary equipment, and by all accounts tremendously improves the beer, plus costs a few bucks less. Semms like a win win to me!

Rook, have you been having trouble with LME? The noob that I am I was hoping that LME would do alright, as it a whole lot cheaper than DME.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:41 PM   #16
TheH2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The partial mash went well, I think, but I had more more wort than would fit into my pot. So, I added as much wort as possible to my pot, then added the extract, hops, etc. and did the boil. I plan on keeping the wort that I didn't boil in the pale and then adding the boiled wort to it, top off with water, and then add yeast. Is this okay? Should I boil the mashed wort for a few minutes?

Full boil here I come....

Old 07-16-2007, 01:54 PM   #17
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheH2
The partial mash went well, I think, but I had more more wort than would fit into my pot. So, I added as much wort as possible to my pot, then added the extract, hops, etc. and did the boil. I plan on keeping the wort that I didn't boil in the pale and then adding the boiled wort to it, top off with water, and then add yeast. Is this okay? Should I boil the mashed wort for a few minutes?

Full boil here I come....
Sounds like a not so great idea.

http://bavarianbrewerytech.com/news/boilhops.htm

Old 07-16-2007, 02:38 PM   #18
TheH2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Luckily, after scanning the internet and the Complete Joy of Homebrewing (so glad I bought that now), I decided that I should boil after reading that boiling killed enzymes. So, I decided on boiling 15 minutes and adding a pinch of Irish Moss. I couldn't let all that good stuff go to waste. I did not add hops or anything else b/c I did all that with the other boil. Hopefully the 15 minutes was enough and I saved my beer. I did hit the OG range which I was very happy about.

Again, thanks all for your help. Without the help of the forum I'm sure I would have failed (I still might have, but at least the mash went well).

Quick Reply