Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Time to man up and ask a few questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2011, 02:17 AM   #11
rlynge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is all great advice....with a false bottom what should be the rate that I draw the wort off while avoiding a stuck sparge?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2011, 02:28 AM   #12
shelly_belly
Locomotive Breath
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I have a Phil's Phalse Bottom in a 5 gallon Rubbermaid and it works great for batch or fly sparge. I tend to fly sparge more because, for me, it's easier and meditative, as I do it by hand, 2 quarts at a time. Dead space is a non-issue as it has a dip-tube of sorts and will suck out almost every drop. I've only had a stuck sparge whenever I tried to drain too fast. Now I just start slow and stay slow. I've never used rice hulls. Another benefit for the plastic is that now that my cooler is all warped up inside I can still get the bottom in and out easily for cleaning. I'm getting around 80% efficiency +- 2% (Brewmasters Warehouse awesome crush). Now if I could just find one for the 10 gallon cooler...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlynge View Post
This is all great advice....with a false bottom what should be the rate that I draw the wort off while avoiding a stuck sparge?
I go about 1 qt/ minute. It takes me about 30 minutes to obtain 6.5 gals with a 1 gallon vorlauf

Old 09-20-2011, 02:42 AM   #13
shaggybudd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlynge View Post
It generally takes a pretty fast flow to get that kind of suction to give you a stuck sparge, but rule of thumb is that you want your sparge to last about 60 min. to effectively rinse as much as possible. So that would be a very restricted out flow from your tun.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:46 AM   #14
rlynge
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggybudd View Post
It generally takes a pretty fast flow to get that kind of suction to give you a stuck sparge, but rule of thumb is that you want your sparge to last about 60 min. to effectively rinse as much as possible. So that would be a very restricted out flow from your tun.
I am guessing that is for fly sparging not batch sparging right?

Old 09-20-2011, 02:57 AM   #15
shaggybudd
Recipes 

I do fly sparge myself, but I don't see why after draining your tun completely first then adding your sparge water (168*-170*) to batch sparge and effectively control your draining to last as long as you can (50-60 min.) could be bad. Thats the goal with sparging: to rinse as much sugars off the grains as possible so slower would be better. Not to mention keeping it going super slow like that will avoid stuck sparges.

My fly sparges only last about 30 min. but thats because I do it by hand at the moment. :-/

Old 09-20-2011, 03:05 AM   #16
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2645 Times on 2070 Posts
Likes Given: 297

You guys spend an hour sparging? Man your really working for that extra 5-10% extra efficiency... I just drain the Rubbermaid with the SS braid at full throttle, add my 175 degree sparge water, let it sit for 5 minutes, and drain away. Takes maybe 15 minutes tops, and I get 80% efficiency

Old 09-20-2011, 03:26 AM   #17
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3285 Times on 2048 Posts
Likes Given: 2803

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggybudd View Post
Shaggy's talking about fly sparging. Batch sparging, you can run pretty fast. Should be able to empty your mash tun in 2-3 minutes. You cannot get better efficiency from running it slower (for batch sparging).

Old 09-20-2011, 10:24 AM   #18
rlynge
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Awesome, thanks for the tips. It makes me more optimistic that batch sparging with a FB is a feasible option!

Old 09-20-2011, 03:45 PM   #19
Jklinden
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Not just feasible...awesome

Quick Reply