Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > thoughts or suggestions on recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
mattsmitty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default thoughts or suggestions on recipe

Went and got stuff for my next brew! Not sure what really to categorize it as. Really just pieced it together with some stuff I already had figured maybe someone could give input or advice? Ok so this is what I've got.... 6.5 lbs us2 row, 1lb honey malt, 1lb flaked wheat, 1lb caravienna paired with magnum hops and us05 yeast. So what u think?

was thinking about maybe cuttin back on the honey malt a tad, and goin for a honey blonde ale.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2013, 01:51 AM   #2
wonderbread23
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Personally, I'd scale the honey malt and caravienna back. You have over 20% crystal malt in there, plus the flaked wheat... it's gonna be a sweet beer.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:43 AM   #3
eltorrente
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Might be o.k. - but it sounds like you think that adding more and more different grains will equal a better taste. Like Wonderbread23 said, cut back on those specialty grains. 1lb of caravienna really jumped out at me and is a hell of a lot - way too much IMO. If I was forced to use your grain bill, I would mash at a low temp (around 150), and bitter it quite a bit - 50IBU's or more, plus lots of late hop additions and dry hops to counteract all that sweetness.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
mattsmitty
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 37

thanks guys, u think cuttin back to .5 lb of honey malt and carevienna would be better or is that still a lil too much? was just trying to use what i had on hand to make a decent beer. figured more grain more alc. haha. thats one reason i went with the magnum hops to try and counter the sweetness a lil.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
bethebrew
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmitty View Post
thanks guys, u think cuttin back to .5 lb of honey malt and carevienna would be better or is that still a lil too much? was just trying to use what i had on hand to make a decent beer. figured more grain more alc. haha. thats one reason i went with the magnum hops to try and counter the sweetness a lil.
personally i would ditch the wheat completely or back to maybe 6 ounces. honey malt is very interesting stuff but yeah .5 lb of each would be better than a full pound. .5 isn't too much either from my experience.

Quick Reply