Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Thoughts on my AG Sweet Stout Recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
Tennessee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Thoughts on my AG Sweet Stout Recipe?

Hi. I am new to AG brewing & this will be 2nd batch & would like some thoughts on my recipe below. I will be using DeathBrewer's stove top mash technique, which proved successful the first time around (Thanks DB!!!!). My first try at AG was a 3 gal. batch (small stove, no wort chiller, etc..) but this time I want to to a 4 gal. batch... boil 3 gal. then top off with a gal. of water.

One thing that crossed my mind was that I have too many specialty malts in my grain bill. Could I loose the roasted barley perhaps? what does it add that the debittered Black & chocolate don't?

thanks in advance!!!!

malt & fermentables
% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg °L

63% 5 0 American Two-row Pale 37 1
13% 1 0 Crystal 40L info 34 40
6% 0 8 Debittered Black Malt 34 550
6% 0 8 Chocolate Malt (US) 28 350
6% 0 8 Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L 33 120
6% 0 8 Roasted Barley 25 300
Batch size: 4.0 gallons

Original Gravity
(1.048 to 1.056)
Final Gravity
(1.012 to 1.015)
Color
52° SRM / 102° EBC
(Black)
Mash Efficiency
75% edit

hops
boil 60 mins 1.0 Kent Golding info pellet 5.0 aa%

Bitterness
19.6 IBU / 5 HBU
BU:GU

yeast
Wyeast British Ale (1098)

Alcohol
5.3% ABV / 4% ABW
Calories
178 per 12 oz.

misc
boil 15 min 0.25 ounces Irish Moss
boil 15 min 8 ounces Lactose

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
BobBailey
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Loose the debittered black and the crystal 40, cut back the roasted barley to 4 oz. and add a lb. of flaked barley. I would recomend mashing at about 156 F.

If you're entering it into competition, you might just scale back the debittered black to make the minimum SRM.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
Tennessee
Recipes 

Thanks for the input.

I am not really worried about strictly adhering to the style, so long as the wife likes the beer (this batch is per her request). Would making the changes you suggested just bring the SRMs down?....it looks like the gravity would drop some too, no?

Old 10-28-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

IMO, instead of trying to hit a home run with one of your first at bats, I'd brew a recipe that's a proven winner. I've brewed this on many times. It's a standard in our house.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/o-fl...tandard-41072/

After you've brewed it, tweek it to your tastes. I upped the roasted barley because I like a more roasted flavor.

enjoy

Old 10-28-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
Tennessee
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh_Jass View Post
IMO, instead of trying to hit a home run with one of your first at bats, I'd brew a recipe that's a proven winner. I've brewed this on many times. It's a standard in our house.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/o-fl...tandard-41072/

After you've brewed it, tweek it to your tastes. I upped the roasted barley because I like a more roasted flavor.

enjoy
Looks good! I will have to try that one at some point.

I am thinking of swapping the caramel 40 for a pound of flaked barley.....but then I may just keep it as it is.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #6
BobBailey
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee View Post
Thanks for the input.

I am not really worried about strictly adhering to the style, so long as the wife likes the beer (this batch is per her request). Would making the changes you suggested just bring the SRMs down?....it looks like the gravity would drop some too, no?
The flaked barley will pretty much compensate for the carmel 40 and the black, so the only loss will be from scaling back the roasted barley. (I find more than an ounce/gallon to be harsh.)

You can make up for that with 1/4 lb. extra 2-row or about 3 oz. of table sugar if you'd like, but I wouldn't worry about a couple of points.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
Tennessee
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBailey View Post
The flaked barley will pretty much compensate for the carmel 40 and the black, so the only loss will be from scaling back the roasted barley. (I find more than an ounce/gallon to be harsh.)

You can make up for that with 1/4 lb. extra 2-row or about 3 oz. of table sugar if you'd like, but I wouldn't worry about a couple of points.
Fantastic! Thanks!

Quick Reply