Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Thinking of making the jump to AG
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2012, 03:18 AM   #1
Chaddyb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 175
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Thinking of making the jump to AG

Im wondering exactly how big or small I should go as far as exactly what equipment I should start acquiring. I am undecided if I should start with the bare minimum, or if I should just bite it and start to build a big three kettle brew stand? My line of thought is that, if im gonna just eventually upgrade, why waste the money on the beginner stuff, and why not just go all out? obviously the bigger setup is more expensive to start. Im just wondering what other peoples thoughts are on this?

__________________

Kegged: Grand cru, Ferocious IPA
Bottled: Java stout, Hanks hefeweizen, Grand cru
Primary: Chocolate milk stout, pumpkin ale, Belgian Wit
Secondary: Coffee brown ale
Next Up: ?

Chaddyb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 03:35 AM   #2
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Misplaced_Canuck's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
Posts: 2,781
Liked 138 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default

You're going to get answers all over the place on this. Personally I don't like brew stands because they take too much storage space. I have a 2-pump "break away" system that I really enjoy. 2 keggles, 1 picnic cooler mashtun, 2 pumps, a heat exchanger and a few small doodads.

Tear-down + clean-up is pretty much the same as a brewstand, so no loss of time there.

As far as size... I like to brew 11 gallons and end up with 2x 5-gallon kegs.

MC

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck
Carbonic bite? Is that like the bubonic plague?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.
Misplaced_Canuck is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 03:42 AM   #3
bhondorp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 30
Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddyb View Post
Im wondering exactly how big or small I should go as far as exactly what equipment I should start acquiring. I am undecided if I should start with the bare minimum, or if I should just bite it and start to build a big three kettle brew stand? My line of thought is that, if im gonna just eventually upgrade, why waste the money on the beginner stuff, and why not just go all out? obviously the bigger setup is more expensive to start. Im just wondering what other peoples thoughts are on this?
I actually made the jump a little while ago with a 2.5 gallon test batch. I was like, what the hey, why not? I highly reccomend trying BIAB (brew in a bag), there is all sorts of info about it here and at biabrewer (google that). The only additional equipment is a bag! Now that is not a hard bullet to bite. I have to say, for all of the talk about how difficult it is to go all grain... if you can watch a thermometer and adjust your heat, you can do this. Try it out! My founders breakfast stout clone done as a biab all grain cost me about ~1/2 the cost of with malt extract and tastes like heaven in a glass.
__________________
bhondorp is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 03:52 AM   #4
poislb
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kenosha, WI
Posts: 1,213
Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Default

Either do BIAB or get a 5 gallon cooler and convert it and do 3 gallon batches. Ya should still be able to use your 5 gallon extract kettle this way. Get yourself a 3 gallon carboy and your under 50 bucks to go all grain..

__________________
poislb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 03:54 AM   #5
bbrim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 784
Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

If you can visualize your final goal you can piece it together in a way that makes sense. I have been steadily building my system for about 4 years now and have not gotten rid of any original equipment. I started with a basic setup for brewing 10 gallon batches and have improved my system to improve quality and consistency. That said, if it is not a great financial burden for you to do it all once then you should. Just make sure you are committed enough to the hobby to justify it.

__________________
bbrim is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
Chaddyb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 175
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I've been doing extract for a little over a year now. I was leaning towards finally building a basement bar like I've always wanted to, but decided since I have a kegerator, I would instead upgrade ny equipment and techniques. I wouldn't mind trying the biab technique, but ultimately want to be doing at least 5 gallon batches. I also won't be buying all of ny equipment in one shot, I will slowly piece it together. I guess in that light maybe I would be better off trying to build a keggle, and getting a cooler a cooler for a mash tun, then converting when I get all the pumps and more keggles....

__________________

Kegged: Grand cru, Ferocious IPA
Bottled: Java stout, Hanks hefeweizen, Grand cru
Primary: Chocolate milk stout, pumpkin ale, Belgian Wit
Secondary: Coffee brown ale
Next Up: ?

Chaddyb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Solway, MN
Posts: 7,122
Liked 851 Times on 708 Posts
Likes Given: 314

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddyb View Post
I've been doing extract for a little over a year now. I was leaning towards finally building a basement bar like I've always wanted to, but decided since I have a kegerator, I would instead upgrade ny equipment and techniques. I wouldn't mind trying the biab technique, but ultimately want to be doing at least 5 gallon batches. I also won't be buying all of ny equipment in one shot, I will slowly piece it together. I guess in that light maybe I would be better off trying to build a keggle, and getting a cooler a cooler for a mash tun, then converting when I get all the pumps and more keggles....
Um... So tell me, what equipment do you plan to buy for doing 5 gallon BIAB? I bought a turkey fryer that has a 30 qt kettle and a burner and a cheap grain mill and a pair of 5 gallon paint strainer bags. I think all of that came to less than $100. It doesn't take very many batches of all grain to save that much over doing extract kits.
__________________
RM-MN is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
Chaddyb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 175
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
Um... So tell me, what equipment do you plan to buy for doing 5 gallon BIAB? I bought a turkey fryer that has a 30 qt kettle and a burner and a cheap grain mill and a pair of 5 gallon paint strainer bags. I think all of that came to less than $100. It doesn't take very many batches of all grain to save that much over doing extract kits.
Well, I don't know exactly what equipment I need, that's why I'm asking you more experienced folks. Truth be told I really didn't know much about the biab method. After reading the sticky, this seems like a method I would like to try. I see he uses the no sparge method , with your 7.5 gal brew pot, do you do the no sparge method or no?
__________________

Kegged: Grand cru, Ferocious IPA
Bottled: Java stout, Hanks hefeweizen, Grand cru
Primary: Chocolate milk stout, pumpkin ale, Belgian Wit
Secondary: Coffee brown ale
Next Up: ?

Chaddyb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #9
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Solway, MN
Posts: 7,122
Liked 851 Times on 708 Posts
Likes Given: 314

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddyb View Post
Well, I don't know exactly what equipment I need, that's why I'm asking you more experienced folks. Truth be told I really didn't know much about the biab method. After reading the sticky, this seems like a method I would like to try. I see he uses the no sparge method , with your 7.5 gal brew pot, do you do the no sparge method or no?
Most of the time I sparge. I have a 20 qt stock pot from when we were doing the garden thing so it really easy for me to sparge. I found that with the full volume of water in my turkey fryer it was really near the top when I added my grains so I decided to work with just a little less water and sparge a little to get my volume up before I started the boil. After reading a bunch on here I started sparging with cold water so I could squeeze better without burning my hands and my efficiency went up so I must have been leaving too much sweet wort in the grain before.
__________________
RM-MN is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #10
Chaddyb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 175
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Also, what is the downfall to not sparging? I'm reading the efficiency is affected?

__________________

Kegged: Grand cru, Ferocious IPA
Bottled: Java stout, Hanks hefeweizen, Grand cru
Primary: Chocolate milk stout, pumpkin ale, Belgian Wit
Secondary: Coffee brown ale
Next Up: ?

Chaddyb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
making the jump swampfox All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 09-21-2011 03:25 AM
Making the Jump mbaker33 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 08-27-2009 10:42 PM
Making the Jump - equipment needed? mhermetz All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 6 08-05-2009 02:49 AM
Making the jump. Need a few pointer Liquidicem All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 9 03-26-2008 05:23 AM
Making the AG jump-vital stats BrewDey All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 13 04-10-2007 04:16 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS