New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Thinking of an all grain setup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2009, 03:09 PM   #11
winstonofbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
I agree bottling sucks and I too keg, but I don't think think it should be listed in a What do I need to buy for AG brewing" thread. I know my CO2 wasn't the ost expensive part of my keezer build. It was the fridge and outfitting it with 3 Perlicks.
I doesnt matter if its all grain or extract. When you are first starting up, that was a question that i was asked. Do you plan to bottle or keg.

If you plan to bottle, Eaither you have been thinking about brewing for awhile and have a stash of old bottles, OR you go buy a ton of bottles and wait longer before you can drink your beer.

For Kegging, You need a $25.00 5gal corny keg. Ball " most popular" or pin lock quick disconnects for in and out line. $2.50 - $4.00 a piece. 1/4 inch hose 10 cent a ft. C02 tank w/ regulator $160 brand new. Can find cheaper on craigslist if you have a little time usally someone is selling there old kegerator. So next you need a fridge to hold the corny keg. Price depends on how new or old the fridge is. So anywhere from free to brand new price. Last but not least, The faucet. You can go super cheap and get a cobra tap " plastic hand held faucet " or go all out and get a chrome faucet and shank. I have gotten them as cheap as $20.00 to $45.00

As for a kegging station, It takes 5 minutes to take from carboy to keg, Put some c02 into tank and shake back in forth a few times and done. If you aren't in a hurry you can let it sit for a day or so to make sure its fully carbonated.

Hope this helps ya out.
Brewing is fun, But i want to drink my beer as soon as possible with little time involved in cleaning.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2009, 04:50 PM   #12
aeonderdonk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You can definitely get into AG brewing for under $400. I got everything I needed for under $225 via craigslist stalking (which takes a bit of time) and building stuff.

54 QT Coleman Cooler ($15)
Parts to convert to MLT ($25)
Empty Keg ($15)
Parts to convert to Kettle ($20)
Tools to convert to Kettle - Angle Grinder, Cutting/Grinding Disks, Unibit ($50)
Turkey Frier with Propane Tank and 30 qt pot ($50)
50' Copper Tubing ($30)
Parts to convert to Immersion Chiller ($10)

Empty
Bottled
EdWort's Apfelwein
Kegged
Pale Onderale
RyePA

Old 08-31-2009, 05:42 PM   #13
Scooby_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 21

IMO if you're going to co-op your brewery with the brother-in-law, you need to go straight to 10 gallons. You don't want to waste your time and money on a 5 gal setup and have to brew every other day.
You need:

1. a keggle with a spigot, and a burner
2. at least 15 gal cooler- Mash Tun for continuous sparging or at least 30 gal cooler if you decide to go with batch sparging instead.
3. a 25 inch long counter-flow chiller or a 50 inch long immersion chiller.

I think you could keep the price to under $400.

Last edited by Scooby_Brew; 08-31-2009 at 05:58 PM.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:37 PM   #14
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 99

+1 to going minimum 10G batches if you're splitting.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 09-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #15
Talloak
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just for clarification:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby_Brew View Post
3. a 25 foot long counter-flow chiller or a 50 foot long immersion chiller.[/B]

As far as kegging goes, it can be pretty expensive. If you have $400 and your choices are to go all-grain or start kegging you should probably choose all-grain. I know there are some people out there who make good beer using extract, but seriously - would you rather put crappy beer in a keg or great beers into bottles. Plus, with someone helping you bottling is a breeze. Just start saving those 12oz bottles up, and go out of your way for 22oz bottles.

'Allow 6-8 weeks for delivery'

Thinking about: California Common, Fat Squirrel Clone
Fermenting: Greenbelt Pale Ale
Conditioning:
Aging: Strong Scotch Ale, Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison

Old 09-01-2009, 08:56 PM   #16
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 11

http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Boerderij_Kabouter/Boerderij_Kabouters_Suggested_AG_Starter_Rig/

Old 09-01-2009, 09:16 PM   #17
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think you can do kegging AND a 5 gallon AG setup for around $400.

Single Corny Kegging System - $150 + s/h

Brew Logic Single Tap Draft System- with Reconditioned CO2 Tank :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies
Just add a cheap fridge (full size if you can find a cheap one), and you're in business. Add more kegs, taps, lines, etc. when you get the money (don't worry you'll find a way! ).

5 Gallon AG System: < $160 + s/h
Turkey Fryer setup - 8g Aluminum Kettle + Burner + propane tank: $100
Amazon.com: Bayou Classic 3016 30-Quart Outdoor Turkey Fryer with Basket and Fry Pot: Home & Garden

Cheap 60qt Ice Chest - $25
Walmart.com: Igloo 60 Qt. Ice Cube Roller Cooler: Camping

Ball valve, braid, other stuff - $30
Bargain Fittings

That's IT! Seriously, you don't need another kettle just use your bottling bucket to hold your first runnings. The 8g aluminum kettle serves as both your hot liquor tank and the boil kettle.

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Last edited by TwoHeadsBrewing; 09-01-2009 at 09:19 PM.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:23 AM   #18
newbrewr4fun
Recipes 

The idea of kegging and all grain is great one in my opinion. I guess I would need to buy some tubing to transfer the runnings back to the mash tun as well right?

The only other problem now is only being able to have 1 keg, and only have it at one place. Right down the road from me though. The kegerator would be at his place so is bottling beer from a keg easy? Then maybe I can save up and get my own.

Secondary empty

Bottled
Belgian ale

Old 09-04-2009, 08:24 AM   #19
newbrewr4fun
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby_Brew View Post
IMO if you're going to co-op your brewery with the brother-in-law, you need to go straight to 10 gallons. You don't want to waste your time and money on a 5 gal setup and have to brew every other day.
You need:

1. a keggle with a spigot, and a burner
2. at least 15 gal cooler- Mash Tun for continuous sparging or at least 30 gal cooler if you decide to go with batch sparging instead.
3. a 25 inch long counter-flow chiller or a 50 inch long immersion chiller.

Where can you find keggles that are already convereted? I would like two one for a mash tun, and one for a boil pot.

Secondary empty

Bottled
Belgian ale

Old 09-04-2009, 03:00 PM   #20
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonofbeer View Post
The only downside to draft is the c02 tank needed. .
Untrue. Another downside to draft, that I just realized when I started kegging, is that you can only drink as many beers as you have taps.

If I'm bottling, I can drink any one of the previous brews I've done. If I'm kegging, I can only drink the 3 kegs that will fit in my kegerator.

As to going all grain, its not expensive. about $80 for a 10G mash tun, $40 for a 10g pot, and $50 for a burner. Thats about all you need.

Quick Reply