New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Thinking about going AG? Don't be afraid.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2009, 05:43 PM   #21
Montanaandy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Great post. This will help provide the shove that I need to get going on AG. All of the things I read about RIMS, HERMS, etc. made me a bit wary. Just need to assemble the Rubbermaid MLT and get the BK that should arrive Tue. and then I am ready. Thanks. Montanaandy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2009, 07:27 PM   #22
aubrey
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaandy View Post
Great post. This will help provide the shove that I need to get going on AG. All of the things I read about RIMS, HERMS, etc. made me a bit wary. Just need to assemble the Rubbermaid MLT and get the BK that should arrive Tue. and then I am ready. Thanks. Montanaandy
You and the others saying the same thing make me glad I did this post. Cheers!

Secondary: Bavarian Hefewizen (extract)
Bottle: Blue Moon clone, Sam Adams Boston Ale Clone, Christmas Chocolate Stout (All Grain)
Keg: AHS West Coast Pale Ale, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde (All Grain)

Old 11-27-2009, 07:55 PM   #23
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

AG is awesome in my eyes. Extract batches were fun when I started but I like the control factor that AG gives me with mash temps, specialty grains.

Like everyone has said it dosen't have to be expensive at all. I think the most crucial things for getting a setup that will work well is a reliable and accurate thermometer, cooler mash tun with enough capacity, turkey fryer/burner, some type of chiller and access to a grain mill at LHBS or at home. Of course this isn't the only route to go for equipment. Chillers can be expensive but with coppertubingsales.com prices and about 2 hours you can make a larger chiller yourself for quite a lot less than others charge.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:57 PM   #24
NAVET
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/first-ag-biab-smash-149085/

All Grain is very easy. Except for the math.

You don't need a cooler. You can get a 30 Qt Turkey Fryer setup from your local home hardware mega mart for about $80 or so, $5 for large paint strainer bags and you are off and running. My paint bag I can attest will hold 12 Lbs of grain wet. I probably could have gone to 13 or 14 Lbs. 14 would have been a bit much for my piece of mind, but it can be done on the cheap.

I am in for less than $200 for equipment. If I tried real hard to remember the costs of it all, it is probably less than $175.

Ferment in a tub with ice packs keeping the water chilled. Ice packs too much? Freeze water in plastic containers and use that. Need bottles? Buy your bottles already full and clean the empty ones in the dishwasher.

Note-if you use bleach, rinse till your blue in the face. Then rinse one more time. Don't ask how I know.

A "Veteran" -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to, and including his life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:29 PM   #25
scrambledegg81
Flocculation Nation
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Waiting for Dec. 8th to roll around before hopping on the AG wagon...Xmas bonus day, baby!

Primary: Zilch
Secondary: Nada
Bottled/Fridge: Lagunitas Undercover Investigation Shutdown
Bombers/Growlers/Aging: Firestone Sucaba Barleywine
Kegerator: Just kicked (dammit all!)
Coming Up: Revision of my Belgian Strong

Old 11-28-2009, 01:38 AM   #26
CrazyJames
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJames View Post
Tonight I'm picking up a 10 gallon cooler, and a turkey fryer hopefully tomorrow I will do my first AG batch!

I <3 Craigslist and kijiji
Took me 3.5 hours to drive 23miles to pick up my new 10 gal mash tun, and turkey fryer.

Due to which I couldnt make it to the LHBS so my venture into All grain will have to wait untill next week.

God I love driving on sheets of ice, and watching idiots in their 4x4's doing multiple 360's. Saw one guy do it twice times in 1 block, you'd think he'd learn.

But still... AG will be worth it!

Old 11-28-2009, 01:47 AM   #27
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJames View Post
Took me 3.5 hours to drive 23miles to pick up my new 10 gal mash tun, and turkey fryer.

Due to which I couldnt make it to the LHBS so my venture into All grain will have to wait untill next week.

God I love driving on sheets of ice, and watching idiots in their 4x4's doing multiple 360's. Saw one guy do it twice times in 1 block, you'd think he'd learn.

But still... AG will be worth it!

Don't worry, as you know brewing is about patience. You would think people would know how to drive better in ice/snow in Canada......

Old 11-28-2009, 02:01 AM   #28
gmadd
Recipes 

Don't be afraid of all grain. I started brewing one year ago with all grain, I've never brewed an extract batch. The things I screwed up never had to do with the mash or the sparge, it was more of the beginner stuff like sanitation. If you can do extract you can do all grain.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:53 PM   #29
BA_from_GA
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Neighbors tossed out a perfectly good 12 gal igloo cooler... only problem, didn't have the plug for the drain hole. SO, i'll be going to the hardware store today to get all the necessary fittings to turn it into an MLT, then it's working on finding an old keg to convert to keggle.

Oh, and i guess i'll brew the final extract batch i have in the fridge. (then watch GA Tech destroy UGA!!!)

brewing lots, rather not keep it all updated here

inhbc.org

Old 11-28-2009, 08:58 PM   #30
GeorgeH
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeH View Post
That said, after a couple "off" PM and extract batches I'm first concentrating on making sure my process is really dialed in. One thing at a time.
Please disregard what I said a couple days ago, here's a picture of the mash tun I built today:

The spray foam in the lid will be coming off when it dries. It's a 45 qt. Rubbermaid from Home Depot ($33) and a stainless steel braid. The one problem with the cooler is that I needed to mount the ball valve upside down for it to close completely.

Primary: Nearly Nirvana Pale Ale
Secondary: Needs cleaning
Kegged: Graff, Web Interaction Wit, Edmund Fitz clone Porter, AHS's Pliny the Elder clone
Bottled: Holiday Ale

Quick Reply