Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Thinking about going AG? Don't be afraid.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2009, 05:07 AM   #11
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainbeers View Post
The wort chiller is the only thing holding me back as well. I plan on going shopping in the morning for a turkey fryer on the best day of the year for such a purchase.

I guess I'll just forgo a batch or two so that I can save a few bucks for an IC.
I wouldn't let that hold you back. I can get my wort down to below 80 degrees in around an hour but putting the brew pot in my bathtub and filling it with cold water. As soon as my boil is done I put the cover on and put it in the tub of cold water. Almost instantly it falls to 150 degrees.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2009, 12:49 PM   #12
aubrey
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
How did you cool your wort?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSTEVE View Post
That is about all that is stopping me from going all grain....I have even considered doing no chill because of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzees View Post
...I have everything I need to brew extract plus a few extras, ei wort chiller. Is there anything else I would need?
Quote:
The wort chiller is the only thing holding me back as well. I plan on going shopping in the morning for a turkey fryer on the best day of the year for such a purchase.

I guess I'll just forgo a batch or two so that I can save a few bucks for an IC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
I wouldn't let that hold you back. I can get my wort down to below 80 degrees in around an hour but putting the brew pot in my bathtub and filling it with cold water. As soon as my boil is done I put the cover on and put it in the tub of cold water. Almost instantly it falls to 150 degrees.
Oh yea, I forgot that detail in my OP. I used the bathtub full of water method. This time of year, my tap water is pretty cold so it takes just under an hour to cool to <80* F. During the summer sometimes I'll freeze a couple gallon jugs of water, sanitize the outside and drop one in the pot and a couple in the tub of water. Sometimes I just wait longer.

I'll get an IC (or something) when time and money permit, as cooling faster is better, but I don't think its big enough of a deal to stop you from taking the plunge. I really don't think the homebrewers in 6BC had immersion chillers, and they invented the stuff, so there you go.
Secondary: Bavarian Hefewizen (extract)
Bottle: Blue Moon clone, Sam Adams Boston Ale Clone, Christmas Chocolate Stout (All Grain)
Keg: AHS West Coast Pale Ale, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde (All Grain)

Old 11-27-2009, 12:54 PM   #13
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Once you move to all grain I bet you will say "Why did I wait so long". More fun to the brew day when you can play with different gains, milling your grains etc.... So much more control and again more fun. Brewing should be fun and that is what all grain has brought to me.

Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Old 11-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #14
GeorgeH
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I do want to move to all grain, primarily because there are technical things I want to do that I just can't accomplish with PM'ing like using base grains other than 2 row or changing the mash temp to change the end result.

That said, after a couple "off" PM and extract batches I'm first concentrating on making sure my process is really dialed in. One thing at a time.

Primary: Nearly Nirvana Pale Ale
Secondary: Needs cleaning
Kegged: Graff, Web Interaction Wit, Edmund Fitz clone Porter, AHS's Pliny the Elder clone
Bottled: Holiday Ale

Old 11-27-2009, 01:51 PM   #15
Baldy_Beer_Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubrey View Post
It's easy to read some of the more advanced posts in here and think that AG is really hard and you can't do it.
I think this occurs not only in other areas of home brewing, but other hobby forums as well. Too often it is easy for a post to appear that you HAVE to do this, you HAVE to do this.

The thing with making beer is there are so many ways to skin this cat that it isn't even funny.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:55 PM   #16
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 510 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 76

An excellent down to earth OP. Duly prosted!

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 11-27-2009, 02:23 PM   #17
Shaggyt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeH View Post
That said, after a couple "off" PM and extract batches I'm first concentrating on making sure my process is really dialed in. One thing at a time.
I wouldn't worry about dialing in PMs or extracts because you'll have to do the exact same thing when moving to AG anyway...that's what I found out. The key would be just making the move when you're comfortable.

I made the move last year at this time because my extracts were not "dialed in."

Old 11-27-2009, 05:03 PM   #18
Mountainbeers
Recipes 

Well you guys have convinced me. I'm picking up materials for a mash tun ASAP.

On Deck: Apfelwein
Fermenting: Oatmeal Stout
Conditioning:
Drinking:

Old 11-27-2009, 05:06 PM   #19
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Don't let AG scare anyone. I avoided it for awhile too. If you have any basic cooking skills you can handle AG.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:11 PM   #20
CrazyJames
Recipes 

Tonight I'm picking up a 10 gallon cooler, and a turkey fryer hopefully tomorrow I will do my first AG batch!

I <3 Craigslist and kijiji

Quick Reply