The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Think it's too expensive to get into AG?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2008, 11:22 PM   #1
Gonefishing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Think it's too expensive to get into AG?

I think I must have about the lowest cost AG setup there is... and even though it'll currently only handle 3 gallon batches I'm pretty happy with it.
Here's a breakdown:
Mash Tun-- 3 gallon round cooler from CL
Boil kettle -- left over from a Turkey fryer I used the burner from on my last setup, but which has been sold.
HLT --- 20 qt SS kettle I bought when I did my first brew back in 04
Cooler... big plastic tub from CL. Put several inches of water in it and froze it overnight on my porch.
Brew bags.. 5 gallon paint filter bags from the HW store. I think it was $3.98 for the 2 of them.
Grain mill... pasta maker from Michael's. About $15 after a 40% off coupon. Put it on a bucket I bought from Walmart a couple of years ago...I think it was $2, and used $1.50 in screws to do it.
SO, what's my total.... $23.50 or so!
The upgrade to 5 gallon batches will add a lot though...I have a big enough cooler, but will need a burner, IC and already bought a keg for a keggle...that was $20.

Small Primary: Empty
In Secondary: SMaSh Ale (dry hopping)
In Keg: Apefelwein
Keg 2: English pale ale
Keg3:Cola Soda
Keg4; Snowy Mountain APA
In Bottles: Some Bud for my clueless friends.
Next up: Brown Puppy Ale (Old Brown Dog clone)
My Blog: http://kking.wordpress.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2008, 11:48 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonefishing View Post
I think I must have about the lowest cost AG setup there is... and even though it'll currently only handle 3 gallon batches I'm pretty happy with it.
Here's a breakdown:
Mash Tun-- 3 gallon round cooler from CL
Boil kettle -- left over from a Turkey fryer I used the burner from on my last setup, but which has been sold.
HLT --- 20 qt SS kettle I bought when I did my first brew back in 04
Cooler... big plastic tub from CL. Put several inches of water in it and froze it overnight on my porch.
Brew bags.. 5 gallon paint filter bags from the HW store. I think it was $3.98 for the 2 of them.
Grain mill... pasta maker from Michael's. About $15 after a 40% off coupon. Put it on a bucket I bought from Walmart a couple of years ago...I think it was $2, and used $1.50 in screws to do it.
SO, what's my total.... $23.50 or so!
The upgrade to 5 gallon batches will add a lot though...I have a big enough cooler, but will need a burner, IC and already bought a keg for a keggle...that was $20.
So you got the pastamachine grain crusher up and running...we need to see pick in the pastamachine grain mill thread!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-14-2008, 01:12 AM   #3
Gonefishing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

They're coming.... I took several, just getting them together now.

Small Primary: Empty
In Secondary: SMaSh Ale (dry hopping)
In Keg: Apefelwein
Keg 2: English pale ale
Keg3:Cola Soda
Keg4; Snowy Mountain APA
In Bottles: Some Bud for my clueless friends.
Next up: Brown Puppy Ale (Old Brown Dog clone)
My Blog: http://kking.wordpress.com/

Quick Reply