Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Thin mash with a high temp rest, what am i looking at here?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
jfrank85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Thin mash with a high temp rest, what am i looking at here?

Recently did an all grain mild that i messed up on my calculations with. I did 2qt per lb instead of the normal 1.25-1.5 qt per lb like suggested. The temp of the mash was a constant 156F for 60mins. I ended up .006 points higher than expected and the beer tasted fine out of the mash. Do you think the higher rest temp will balance out the thin mash to leave a moderately bodied beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
LowNotes
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm kind of a noob, but as I understand it having a thinner mash shouldn't impact things too much. People who do BIAB often use ratios well over 2qts/lb, and their beers seem to turn out fine. It means doing a full volume boil, but if that isn't an issue I don't think there is a downside to being *over* the recommedned water/grain ration.

As far as the temp, I would guess being at 156 is also probably still just fine. It is a little high, but seems to still be in the range people aim for a mid-range beer body. Did it stay at exactl 156 the entire 60 minutes, or did it lose a couple degrees as time progressed? If it cooled a little I imagine that would work to your benefit.

I wouldn't worry if I were you, but someone with more expereince will chime in I'm sure.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

The higher your mash temp the more dextrins you will convert and thus more mouthfeel. Your beer may end up more malty and less dry...maybe it'll be a good thing. I'd guess it'll taste just great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Quick Reply