Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Thick, strong krausen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2007, 06:58 PM   #1
giono2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Thick, strong krausen

So i peeped into my minibrew 5 gal. on Sunday and the krausen was very dense and firm looking. So much so that I felt like I could pull it out whole. There are no off odors, white patches or other funky stuff. I just has a thick pizza dough look to it. The batch was a 7 day old all grain pale ale, this is the second such batch with this appearance that I can remember. Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2007, 07:03 PM   #2
DAAB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds like a nice healthy crop of a true top cropping yeast.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:31 PM   #3
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

I've had it twice, both beers turned out fine. Very "doughy" is a good word for it.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:38 PM   #4
giono2
Recipes 

Great. I'm excited then. Will this drop on it's own, or should I rack while it's up there. Please don't tell me to measure gravity, I'm a boil and dump kind of guy and have never measured gravity. I know, I need to start measuring, but it's just too much fun to get too technical.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:47 PM   #5
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

Didn't drop quick enough for me, it may for you. I moved over to secondary while a good bit of it was still there. Didn't want to leave it on the trub more than a week.

On a side note: Measuring gravity technical? Naaaaaaah, you just read your little floaty thing! It's pretty cheap as far as beer equipment goes, like 20 bucks or something.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:36 PM   #6
giono2
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seefresh
On a side note: Measuring gravity technical? Naaaaaaah, you just read your little floaty thing! It's pretty cheap as far as beer equipment goes, like 20 bucks or something.
To be honest, I have a brew telescope thingy for gravity, and intend to use it every time. I just get too excited, and go too fast. I always find it when I'm cleaning up.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:51 PM   #7
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by giono2
To be honest, I have a brew telescope thingy for gravity, and intend to use it every time. I just get too excited, and go too fast. I always find it when I'm cleaning up.
Talking about a refractometer? They are good for the mash gravity readings, etc. but lack accuracy when the sample has been fermented.
Alcohol throws off the readings.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 09-20-2007, 08:34 AM   #8
DAAB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by giono2
Great. I'm excited then. Will this drop on it's own, or should I rack while it's up there. Please don't tell me to measure gravity,
Some strains will just sit there indefinately, just rack from underneath it.

You really should start taking gravity readings, even if it is just thefinal one to confirm that fermentation is complete and it hasn't stuck.

There's been a recent case where someone had that situation and if it wasn't for the fact he had bottled in PET he could have had bottle bombs to contend with. As it was he only had to worry about a very carbonated, foamy beer.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:25 PM   #9
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

You can also gently rock your carboy to get that floating stuff to settle. After it comes loose from the surface, just give it a day or so to settle well on the bottom before racking.

TL

Old 09-20-2007, 07:33 PM   #10
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 586 Times on 343 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Sometimes a krausen from certain yeast strains (lile Belgian Wit) can cake up on the sides of the fermenter so thick, that the yeast actually gets trapped up there and the fermentation comes to a stand still.

You'll never know this is the case if you don't take hydrometer readings.

True, making beer is a ton-o-fun. Making beer that didn't ferment and you didn't know it...ain't so much fun.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply