Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > thick krausen 6 days in

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2008, 02:09 AM   #1
eastcoast4130
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default thick krausen 6 days in

i was racking my beer into a secondary tonight and there was some really thick krausen type stuff on top still, it wasnt just foam it was real thick could this be anything not normal im pretty new to this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2008, 02:14 AM   #2
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

It probably wasn't ready yet. Next time leave it at least a full week, if not two before doing anything. If you do see krausen, leave it alone until it settles.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 03-02-2008, 02:42 AM   #3
eastcoast4130
Recipes 

so will my beer be alright?, the air lock activity slowed down to around 1 bubble every 15 seconds. the instructions i got from my LHBS told me to rack to secondary at that time. thanks. im obviously a newb

Old 03-02-2008, 03:02 AM   #4
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

A thick krausen 6 days into fermentation isn't exactly normal, but then again, it certainly isn't rare.
The problem with instuctions from the LHBS is that the nobody told the yeast how to behave.
Your beer will probably be fine. Next time, don't rack to the secondary until the krausen has fallen and the gravity has remained stable for at least 2 days. This is much more reliable than following a timetable.

Don't believe me. Ask your LHBS.

If it makes you feel any better, I have a brew that has a thick krausen after 8 days, and is bubbling about once every 15 seconds. The only worrying thing about it is that I may not have a free carboy available for my next brew.

-a.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:08 AM   #5
eastcoast4130
Recipes 

i hope my cream ale is going to be alright. that was the same problem i had i needed to make room for the nut brown i brewed today. oh well i guess its just another lesson learned i still have some airlock activity in the secondary so hopefully that means it will be alright. thanks for the responses

Old 03-02-2008, 03:59 AM   #6
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

Time to buy another fermenter. Have two going at the same time.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 03-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #7
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast4130
i was racking my beer into a secondary tonight and there was some really thick krausen type stuff on top still, it wasnt just foam it was real thick could this be anything not normal im pretty new to this.

Hydrometer Readings my young Grasshopper.

On DeckAnother Mild
Primary Camper's Delight 9
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Camper's Delight 8
On Tap MaiBock

Old 03-02-2008, 01:12 PM   #8
archmaker
Recipes 

Sound similar to what happened to me. May not be the same.

The stuff was about 2" thick, when I took samples it clumped up on my turkey fryer, and the chunks would be the consistency of caulk.

Same deal it bubbled once every 15 to 30 seconds. For about 6 weeks.

I was afraid it was ruined.

Then one day I woke up one morning and noticed that it started to drop, and a few hours later I had nothing on top but a few bubbles.

I started my brew on 12-28. My beer was conditioned in the bottle for 3 weeks and I just had the first few over the last several days and it was some of the best beer I have ever made to date.

So all I can tell you is relax, wait it out. Will it be good, I don't know but I took the stance that my process was good, and doing anything to it now may cause more harm then good. Glad I did.

Wait it out, take readings, and let the beer tell you when it is done not the calender.

I am prepared to meet my maker, however, I am not sure that my maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me. -Churchhill

Old 03-02-2008, 03:07 PM   #9
eastcoast4130
Recipes 

yea i was just freaking out like all the other newbs post i have now read over(search option? whats that?) im pretty sure that my beer will be alright from the looks of everything now it seeems to be going good. i think there is enough residual yeast to continue fermenting, i have what looks like a slight layer of new krausen forming but it may just be gas escaping from racking to secondary. thanks again for all the replies

Old 03-02-2008, 03:11 PM   #10
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

is it that real sticky bubly alien spawning ground type krausen? it's fine... sometimes it really gunks up and clings to teh walls of the fermenter, and you have to break the surface tension in order to get it to fall.

what kind of yeast was it?

next time just give it a shake, and get that yeast back in soulution, it will ferment if there's any sugar left and then drop out.

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quick Reply