The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Is there really a diff between batch sparging and Mash out?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2008, 03:27 PM   #1
jacksonbrown
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Is there really a diff between batch sparging and Mash out?

I was just thinking about this. And I'm curious what people think. Is there really a difference between performing a batch sparge and a mash out? The goal in both is to raise you grain bed temp to 168. In the mash out, you add hot water, rest, drain, add water, drain. In the batch sparge you drain the first wort, and sparge twice. So, where does the difference lie? What does one method do for you that the other does not?

Primary: German Alt
Bottled: Kolch, German Hefeweizen
On tap: 60/- Light Scottish Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2008, 03:34 PM   #2
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Mashout raises the mash temp to around 168F. This can be done with an infusion of hot water or by heating the mash. At that point you start the sparge either a batch sparge or a fly sparge.

With a batch sparge you drain the lauter tun 1 or more times. After each draining you add additional sparge water then drain again.

The two steps are not exclusive nor do they have to be done together. After a mashout you can either fly or batch sparge. And you do not have to mashout before starting a batch sparge. I use a 5gal cooler and my larger beers completely fill the MLT. So I have to drain the mash water before I can add any additional water. This means I cannot perform a mashout, though I do batch sparge.

Craig

Old 08-04-2008, 03:35 PM   #3
Vagrant
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The goal of sparging is to rinse the converted sugars from your grains. The goal of Mash Out is to stop the enzymes from converting sugars. This "freezes the clock" on your SG and prevents your wort from bumping up an extra .01 or .02 to fine tune your brews.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:38 PM   #4
davesrose
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Isn't a mash out just a throw back from when fly sparging was the only accepted method? I dunno....I just have seen from contributers on this site that do batch sparge: that mash out is indeed not as noticable. I do fly sparge, so I find I get the best results doing a step mash with fly sparging (start off with a 30 min protein rest at 135, 30 min mash at 153, then 10 min mashout at 168....mashout just means to raise the temp enough to stop the "mash" process that the enzymes are doing). I would think that time is the only factor about when to get your grains up to 168 (so that you can stop those enzymes: otherwise, it might alter the characteristics of your beer). If you're not puttering around with your runnings, then maybe you can get what is effectively a mashout with your second batch sparge: and hence why the batch folks here say they see no difference with/without mashout.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:53 PM   #5
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 32 Posts

Raising the temps at mashout also makes rinsing the sugars from the grain easier.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:00 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

I've been batch sparging for years, but rarely ever do a mash-out. So, for me they aren't the same thing. I control unfermentables and maltiness with the recipe and not worry about stopping the enzymes at a specific point.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-04-2008, 07:04 PM   #7
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I have been doing batch sparges since I began AG. I did a couple Mash outs the last few times though just to see if I noticed a diff. I did not.

Quote:
The goal of Mash Out is to stop the enzymes from converting sugars.
When I batch, my first half of the sparge water goes in around 180-190 in order to raise my mash temp and stop converstion. So what's the difference? I let it sit for 5-10 min before drianing.

Primary: German Alt
Bottled: Kolch, German Hefeweizen
On tap: 60/- Light Scottish Ale

Old 08-04-2008, 07:23 PM   #8
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post
I have been doing batch sparges since I began AG. I did a couple Mash outs the last few times though just to see if I noticed a diff. I did not.

When I batch, my first half of the sparge water goes in around 180-190 in order to raise my mash temp and stop converstion. So what's the difference? I let it sit for 5-10 min before drianing.
You are doing a mashout, then a batch sparge. If you were like me and didn't have room to add additional water before starting the sparge then you would skip the mashout step. Since you are adding water then it makes sense to add in such a way to become a mashout.

So basically your batch sparge technique accomplishes a mashout. But that does not mean that a mashout and batch sparge are the same thing.

Craig

Old 08-04-2008, 08:28 PM   #9
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wow, I think I've been doing it wrong all the time. I put in my strike water and hold for 60mins, drain. Then add 168º water and let sit for 10 - 15mins. Repeat as necessary. From what I'm reading my first sparge water should be higher than 168º? Same holds true for each additional sparge?

Old 08-04-2008, 08:43 PM   #10
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Brewer View Post
Wow, I think I've been doing it wrong all the time. I put in my strike water and hold for 60mins, drain. Then add 168º water and let sit for 10 - 15mins. Repeat as necessary. From what I'm reading my first sparge water should be higher than 168º? Same holds true for each additional sparge?
That's an acceptable method, but you may get some more efficiency by using sparge water hot enough to raise the mash to 168º.

Quick Reply