Tempature difference between primary and secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutch218

Reaction score
If I put my ferment bucket in a wine cooling fridge and control the temp correctly, and then secondary in room temp in a coopers DIY bucket are there any issues. I am thinking going from mid 60's to mid 70's may be an issue. I'm trying to make this all work with my current equipment and can't spend any more cash on buckets and such. (read: wife is already pissed)

Anyway does anyone see a problem with this? Am I going to screw up something along the way?

Dutch218 said:
If I put my ferment bucket in a wine cooling fridge and control the temp correctly, and then secondary in room temp in a coopers DIY bucket are there any issues. I am thinking going from mid 60's to mid 70's may be an issue. I'm trying to make this all work with my current equipment and can't spend any more cash on buckets and such. (read: wife is already pissed)

Anyway does anyone see a problem with this? Am I going to screw up something along the way?

Nope. Cooler at first, a bit warmer after that, very much a fine way to do it

Thanks. I just watched a YouTube video and the guy used the wine fridge. I had one for years and haven't touched it in about that long. Starting to wish I never wasted money on the coopers kit.

I don't know what a coopers DIY bucket is. But if it has a wide headspace like other buckets, I wouldn't do that. I'd either keep it in the fermenter, until bottling, or rack to a carboy with a narrow headspace. After fermentation ends, the beer is fine where it is. But once it's racked, a wide headspace allows oxygen to permeate the headspace of a bucket.

I would either keep the beer in the fermenter, or find a vessel with less headspace if the coopers DIY bucket is actually a bucket.

Once 75% of primary fermentation is done you can let the drift up in temp within reason. Moving it from 65 to 75 is within reason. You will probably even get a cleaner fermentation that way by keeping the yeast awake long enough to clean up after themselves.

chumpsteak said:
Once 75% of primary fermentation is done you can let the drift up in temp within reason. Moving it from 65 to 75 is within reason. You will probably even get a cleaner fermentation that way by keeping the yeast awake long enough to clean up after themselves.

Yep. This is precisely what I do

Maybe a dumb question, but shouldn't you be fine if you just keep the temperature within the yeast's optimum fermentation temperature for both the primary and the secondary fermentation.

For example... For a White Labs Burton Ale Yeast is 68-73F. Or are you saying that you should try to keep the primary near 68F, while moving it up to closer to 73 for the secondary?

Latest posts

Back