Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Temp of sparge water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #11
TyTanium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Agreed. For batch spargers with efficiency problems, sparge temp is not the place to look.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #12
Paulgs3
Yeast Buddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
To me that would indicate you're not getting full conversion in the mash and adding the hotter water finished things up. You might want to look into Kai's conversion efficiency chart. http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Troubleshooting_Brewhouse_Efficien cy#Determining_Conversion_Efficiency
I just found that chart earlier today while browsing over low efficiency, awesome read!! I've actually been doing really well with my same set up hammering in 74-77% until I changed my sparge water temp. I go 60-90 mins, check starch test. I didn't follow the golden rule of it it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #13
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2652 Times on 2070 Posts
Likes Given: 300

I sparge at 190

Old 09-04-2012, 01:06 AM   #14
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The water temp when you pour it in will need to be higher than what you want to end up with. Just like at mash in, your water will drop to an average between your grain temp and sparge water temp. If your at say 152 mash temp, pouring 170deg water might get you to 160 or so. Pouring 180-190 will get you closer to the 170 mash out temp. You'll have to see what your own set up gets you.

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern
Paulgs3 Likes This 
Old 09-04-2012, 02:04 AM   #15
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulgs3 View Post
I've actually been doing really well with my same set up hammering in 74-77% until I changed my sparge water temp. I go 60-90 mins, check starch test. I didn't follow the golden rule of it it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Any other changes? Was it the exact same recipe? I've personally sparged with temps all over the place, including lukewarm water. And it never really seems to make a difference. If my efficiency dips, it's been something else, every time.

Also, remember your high school stats - sample size of 1 isn't too meaningful.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:13 AM   #16
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1014 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 2687

I'm like Denny. I normally sparge with 190-200* water, but I've also sparged with room temp water with almost no change in efficiency. As a matter of fact, I would always sparge with room temp water if it didn't make it take longer to reach boiling temps....

Old 09-04-2012, 02:57 AM   #17
Czm
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I did what beersmith says and hit 160 or so at what was recommended. Next time ill jump to about 180. When I drained mash tun temp dropped to 150. Added the sparge and hit 160. So i'll plug in 180 and see what I get. Still missed my og by .004 points today

Old 09-04-2012, 04:50 AM   #18
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 194 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 47

If you are really concerned about tannins, treat the sparge water with acid (Lactic, Phosphoric, HCl) to a pH of about 6 and that will alleviate the concern.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 09-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #19
Paulgs3
Yeast Buddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Any other changes? Was it the exact same recipe? I've personally sparged with temps all over the place, including lukewarm water. And it never really seems to make a difference. If my efficiency dips, it's been something else, every time.

Also, remember your high school stats - sample size of 1 isn't too meaningful.
Only difference was the hops. 23.5# of grain, One had crystal 20, the other had crystal 80, both 2# the rest 2 row, first one was 90 mins, second was about 75. PH was 5.2-5.4 (darn strips), sparge was around 5.8 to 6. 1Tbs of gypsum, pinch of metasulfate (yeah..... pinch is not accurate).

I did check the refractometer, its was a tad off on the zero, I need to check with NaCl solution. My run off was around 1.025, but I will admit my mash was a bit off, target was 1.050, I hit about 1.044. I have not checked my thermometers recently, its traceable and a year old, but you never know. My barley crusher is still at a credit card space. I honestly don't know, the only thing has changed is the sparge temp. I'm sure there could be something else wrong, not denying that or being closed minded, trust me, I want it to be the temp as its easier to fix. Could even be I'm not mixing it enough.

Best way to find out is brew again!!

Old 09-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #20
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 516

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czm View Post
I did what beersmith says and hit 160 or so at what was recommended. Next time ill jump to about 180. When I drained mash tun temp dropped to 150. Added the sparge and hit 160. So i'll plug in 180 and see what I get. Still missed my og by .004 points today
Beersmith is a tool (a great tool) but it's not brewing instructions. Use it to do what you want to do, not what it "tells" you to do.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Quick Reply