The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Tax refund in my favor!!! What should I buy???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2007, 02:51 AM   #11
twanger1994
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

By the way I cant get into the syrups and all that. My belief is if your going to do it do it all the way. thats why im looking to get it all so after I blow the cash ill atleast have the beer and a great time killer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2007, 03:25 AM   #12
Monk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm sure you'll get a lot of great responses regarding brewing equipment and such, so I won't add my own. But I would offer you this advice. Almost independent of where you live, you will probably want to control the temperature of your fermentation. It might not seem important to you now, but it made the biggest difference for me. So...

Buy a chest freezer or old refrig with some of your cash. And a johnson temp controller from Morebeer or some other place. That way, all year round, you can keep a carboy of beer fermenting at exactly the temp you want. You don't want to have a three tier brewing system and have to cool your carboy in the bathtub with 2-liter bottles of ice, right?

Any way you swing it, good luck to you. Have fun! Cheers!

monk

Old 02-21-2007, 02:45 PM   #13
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Twanger. First, where in NJ are you? I'm down in the Piscataway/New Brunswick area.

You also don't have to buy a kit if you don't want to. You can assemble everything you need in a big order. You have to decide if you want to boil on your stove or go outside. Do you have access to a natural gas line for your burner or will you get a propane tank. Once you move outside, you can go for bigger pots for full boils or even larger batches. There are so many factors that play into equipment selections so it's not a problem you can necessarily just throw money at. Well, you can if it's unlimitted.

If you're looking to do 5gal all grain batches, you'll need at least a 8-10gallon pot which will need to be fired on a turkey fryer style burner setup.

If you're local enough, you're welcome to come check out my setup.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply