Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Tasted my American Pale ale while bottling and
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2012, 04:37 AM   #1
BoomerSoonerBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Posts: 86
Likes Given: 40

Default Tasted my American Pale ale while bottling and

it tasted good but was a bit sweet and didn't have much alcohol bite.

I tried to take a hydrometer but couldn't figure out how to read it properly (i'm too noob).

Is this normal?

Here is the recipe I used:

malt & fermentables
% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg °L
44% 4 0 American Two-row Pale 37 1 ~
35% 3 3 Briess GOLD LME 34 5 ~
11% 1 0 Crystal 20L 34 20 ~
11% 1 0 Biscuit Malt 36 23 ~
Batch size: 5.0 gallons


Original Gravity
1.054 / 13.3° Plato
(1.049 to 1.057)
Final Gravity
1.013 / 3.3° Plato
(1.011 to 1.014)
Color
8° SRM / 17° EBC
(Gold to Copper)
Mash Efficiency
75%

hops
use time oz variety form aa
boil 60 mins 1.0 Cascade pellet 6.2
boil 20 mins 1.0 Goldings, East Kent pellet 5.0
boil 10 mins 1.0 Goldings, East Kent pellet 5.0
Boil: 4.0 avg gallons for 60 minutes


Bitterness
35.6 IBU / 6 HBU
ƒ: Tinseth
BU:GU
0.65

yeast
White Labs California Ale
ale yeast in liquid form with high flocculation and 77% attenuation


Alcohol
5.5% ABV / 4% ABW
Calories
178 per 12 oz.

__________________
BoomerSoonerBrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 06:00 AM   #2
bbrim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 785
Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

That may be on the sweet end for a pale ale but the balance should become more bitter as the beer carbonates. The CO2 will add some bite. To get a nice bitterness I shoot for a BU:GU ratio between .8-.9 assuming I get 75% attenuation from my yeast. Greater or lesser attenuation will leave more or less sweetness in the beer so that will impact the IBUs you should shoot for.

__________________
bbrim is offline
BoomerSoonerBrewer Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 06:14 AM   #3
BoomerSoonerBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Posts: 86
Likes Given: 40

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrim View Post
That may be on the sweet end for a pale ale but the balance should become more bitter as the beer carbonates. The CO2 will add some bite. To get a nice bitterness I shoot for a BU:GU ratio between .8-.9 assuming I get 75% attenuation from my yeast. Greater or lesser attenuation will leave more or less sweetness in the beer so that will impact the IBUs you should shoot for.
Well I appreciate it.

Given the temp of the beer and the malt used, I can see why it didn't have that "bite."

I will say that after 15 days of fermentation, it smelled very good and well-developed for a young beer.

Also, this batch survived a bit of a scare from a bleach-sanitized water used in the airlock that sucked into the beer (five droplets). It hasn't affected the taste so we are certain we're in the clear and it will turn out good.

Going to bottle the IPA tomorrow and brew an Amber Ale.
__________________
BoomerSoonerBrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
C-Rider
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
C-Rider's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wai, Hawaii
Posts: 2,616
Liked 131 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 335

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSoonerBrewer View Post
Well I appreciate it.

Given the temp of the beer and the malt used, I can see why it didn't have that "bite."

I will say that after 15 days of fermentation, it smelled very good and well-developed for a young beer.

Also, this batch survived a bit of a scare from a bleach-sanitized water used in the airlock that sucked into the beer (five droplets). It hasn't affected the taste so we are certain we're in the clear and it will turn out good.

Going to bottle the IPA tomorrow and brew an Amber Ale.
Are you sure it was finished fermenting? 15 days might be short and there was still sugar for the yeast to eat.
__________________

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Fermenting: German IPA
Fermenting: German Stout
Bottle Conditioning: Wai`anae Summer Ale
(N.English Brown)
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: Old Glory Am. Stout
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer:
Bottled in the refer:

C-Rider is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
Gartywood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Windsor, CT
Posts: 303
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I wouldn't think that you'd get an alcohol bite in a 5.5 ABV beer. My advice is learn how to use the hydrometer because it will help you to trouble shoot these issues.

__________________
Gartywood is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
BoomerSoonerBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Posts: 86
Likes Given: 40

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gartywood View Post
I wouldn't think that you'd get an alcohol bite in a 5.5 ABV beer. My advice is learn how to use the hydrometer because it will help you to trouble shoot these issues.
I didn't have any problems measuring the OG but for whatever reason can't get a reading for the FG. I will definitely learn how to use it.
__________________
BoomerSoonerBrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
Gartywood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Windsor, CT
Posts: 303
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSoonerBrewer View Post
I didn't have any problems measuring the OG but for whatever reason can't get a reading for the FG. I will definitely learn how to use it.
What has the measured OG?
__________________
Gartywood is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #9
BoomerSoonerBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Posts: 86
Likes Given: 40

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gartywood View Post
what has the measured og?
1055
__________________
BoomerSoonerBrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 09:59 PM   #10
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
 
Braufessor's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NE Iowa, Iowa
Posts: 1,904
Liked 441 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 364

Default

How could you get an original gravity reading, but not get a final gravity reading? It is the same process - put enough beer in the tube to float the hydrometer and then see where the top of the liquid sits on the hydrometer and read the number. What is different about reading it this time?

__________________
Braufessor is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
American Pale Ale with WLP029 Brulosopher All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 17 09-13-2012 12:43 AM
Basic American Pale Help puttin4doh All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 11 09-04-2011 04:20 PM
IPA tasted great prior to bottling - now not so good. DocBlanner All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 5 08-27-2008 01:51 AM
Great American Pale Ale Experiment james3 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 9 05-22-2008 09:42 PM
Tasted my first EdWort's Haus Pale Ale FSR402 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 29 09-14-2007 10:38 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS