Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Is the taste the same other than the color...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
stagstout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is the taste the same other than the color...

Yesterday I quickly decided that I was going to brew another stout this weekend.

So I went to the local homebrew shoppe which is more of a wine shoppe to get my lb of roasted and lb of chocolate. (note: this place is pretty much good for the quick fix....not a enough selection and pricey - $3 per lb)

The only roasted they have is @ 300L and I would have liked to use around 500-600 Lovibond.

My question is this, how much difference will there be as for flavour? I know the color won't be the same...not that big of deal to me as taste.

I know with Crystal Malts it does make a difference but wasn't sure with Roasted Barley.

Help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
Dos_Locos_Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sure it will affect the flavor - more roasty, less burnt. If you feel you won't hit the darkness you want, why not use a bit more?

Old 10-09-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
Orangevango
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think I like the lower roasted barley better anyway. I say try it and find out.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #4
stagstout
Recipes 

You said you liked the lower roasted better, did you find that it still had that great "roasted flavour" over the 500-600L roast. I'm using one lb along with a lb of chocolate in my stout. As you can see, I like it strong hence the concern. I'm more worried about losing some of the roasted flavour than the color.

Is it just a mellower roasted flavour vs the darker roast?

Quick Reply