New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Tangerine Wheat Recipe Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 02:12 AM   #11
baptistbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

So experiment 1 went bad... Extract as you guys said was a poor choice. Brewing it again. Here is my plan

The beer prior to extract was good so I'm brewing it again, after second week in primary I'm going to add potassium sorbate and kill the yeast. After that I'm going to rack into secondary and add tangerines via pasturization.

The question then becomes how many # of tangerines

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 02:42 AM   #12
Toecutter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

My Belgian Orange Wheat is a staple in my kegarator. drinking some right now. i have done this many times. i have an abundance of orange trees, including tangerines in my yard, so they come cheap. for a 10 gallon batch i use 8-10 oranges. do as the other poster suggested, in the muslin bag. i core out the insides with a spoon, then peel the skin with a potato peeler. boil a quart of water for a few minutes. turn off the flame. dump everything in the water. let it sit a few minutes. then dump all the solids into a sterilized nylon stocking or muslin bag. then dump it all, pan of water with juice, and bag right into the primary. add your wort, then pitch your yeast. the orange skin has a lot of oils in it which add to the flavor. makes a nice beer

On Tap: Belgian Orange Crystalweizen, Toecutters Honey HPA

Fermenting: Belgian Orange Crystalweizen

Old 04-14-2014, 06:52 PM   #13
30Bones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
My Belgian Orange Wheat is a staple in my kegarator. drinking some right now. i have done this many times. i have an abundance of orange trees, including tangerines in my yard, so they come cheap. for a 10 gallon batch i use 8-10 oranges. do as the other poster suggested, in the muslin bag. i core out the insides with a spoon, then peel the skin with a potato peeler. boil a quart of water for a few minutes. turn off the flame. dump everything in the water. let it sit a few minutes. then dump all the solids into a sterilized nylon stocking or muslin bag. then dump it all, pan of water with juice, and bag right into the primary. add your wort, then pitch your yeast. the orange skin has a lot of oils in it which add to the flavor. makes a nice beer
I am on the fence over adding the fruit to the primary or secondary. I was planning my first tangerine wheat this weekend and was going to add tangerines to the primary a few days into fermentation once I hit roughly 1.020 and let it ferment out and then transfer to a secondary for a few more weeks.

My biggest fear is not having the head space in a 6 gallon primary to add 4-5 pounds of fruit

Here is my recipe so far (10 gallon batch split in two, one tangerine, one peach or...)

Quick Reply