Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Tangerine Wheat Recipe Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012, 12:03 AM   #1
baptistbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Tangerine Wheat Recipe Question

I am making a Tangerine wheat. Here is my recipe...
8.0 oz Rice Hulls
5.5 lbs 8.0 oz White Wheat Malt
4.5 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row)
1 lbs Munich Malt
0.25 oz Magnum - Boil 60.0 min
0.25 oz Magnum - Boil 15.0 min

Then I was gonna use US-05

My question is two part. First how does the recipe look? Second, how should I add the tangerine? I bought 4oz of extract and I am thinking about adding at kegging. Last time I did a fruit beer I added strawberries to the secondary and it wasn't good.

Will the 4 ounces be enough to get a strong tangerine taste? I am looking for a Lost Coast Tangerine Wheat feel.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
Wheatmeister
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

you'll get different answers from everyone on this...dont think theres a definitive best way. I personally am not an extract fan. Ive made blood hefe multiple times, i pastuerize the oranges and some peel and dump everyting inot the primary and rack on top of it with good results...

Old 03-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
bchurch
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts

I agree, extract always taste a little unnatural to me. Used it for a couple different brews and while they were ok, you could just tell it was extract. Also 4 oz. is a lot when it comes to extract in a wheat ale. I would start with 2-3 oz. then add to taste.

oh and yeah the recipe looks good, never used magnum myself what type of flavor does it add? Also yes add extract at kegging if you want or if you are using a secondary you could add a some to it then taste it before you keg and add more as you see fit.

Reason: because i'm stupid and didn't answer your questions to begin with..

Old 03-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
baptistbrewer
Recipes 

This is all grain not extract.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
Wheatmeister
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by baptistbrewer View Post
This is all grain not extract.
huh? We're talking about the fruit extract.

It will work, but alot of ppl think the flavor tastes artificial, myselft included...at least in the several times ive used them

Old 03-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
bchurch
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatmeister View Post
huh? We're talking about the fruit extract.

It will work, but alot of ppl think the flavor tastes artificial, myselft included...at least in the several times ive used them
I guess he thinks we can't read a recipe!

Old 03-26-2012, 02:58 AM   #7
baptistbrewer
Recipes 

Yea sorry. Total misread. So extract fruit is not so bueno. How would I add tangerines to seconday.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:00 PM   #8
Wheatmeister
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by baptistbrewer View Post
Yea sorry. Total misread. So extract fruit is not so bueno. How would I add tangerines to seconday.
I mean you can, esp if you already bought the extract, it will work fine. Point alot of us think the flavor leaves alot to be desired. If you go with adding tangerines, I'd consider doing it in the primary. Tho secondary will aslo work. What I do, is pastuerize the fruit in a pot with a bit of water (not much) with all the fruit ties up in a muslin bag. then I dump all of it, muslin bag, and water into the primary and rack on top of it...works for me for Blood Orange wheat brews

Old 03-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
baptistbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatmeister

I mean you can, esp if you already bought the extract, it will work fine. Point alot of us think the flavor leaves alot to be desired. If you go with adding tangerines, I'd consider doing it in the primary. Tho secondary will aslo work. What I do, is pastuerize the fruit in a pot with a bit of water (not much) with all the fruit ties up in a muslin bag. then I dump all of it, muslin bag, water into the primary and rack on top of it...works for me for Blood Orange wheat brews
Ok sounds good its a day in primary so how many pounds of fruit and how much water?

Old 03-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #10
Wheatmeister
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Theres no correct answer, ppl do it differently. depends on how prevalent you want the flavor to be. Go anywhere from 1 tangerine and 1 cup of water up to 4+ tangerines in 2+cups of water. I'd zest the tangerines, quarter them, put it all into the muslin bag. add at least 1 cup of water to a pot and pastuerize for awhile. search pasturize to get exact temps and process, theres multiple threads on here about it, but its really easy. while your pasturizing, use a stir spoon and crush the tangerines to get the juices out and into the water, by the time your done pasturizing and its cooled off, the water will provide as much if not more flavor than the contents left in the muslin bag once they go into the fermenter..my 2 cents

Quick Reply