Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Talk me out of it. . .

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
pava
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Talk me out of it. . .

I have never hombrewed before in my life, never seen it done, and only ever had a handful of the fruits of others homebrewing labors. I finally decided this was the year to scratch that homebrewing itch that I have had for several years now and after much reading and research I have decided to skip the extract and pm options and dive head first into the world of AG. I am used to cooking and baking and while I am not a gourmet chef by any means, I can find my way around the kitchen pretty well. . .I am also an avid BBQ'er so I understand how to work through a lengthy cooking process while keeping equipment and tools in safe sanitary condition.

That said, here is a list of equipment that I either have already bought or am planning on buying. . .

1. Northernbrewers Deluxe starter kit - http://www.northernbrewer.com/starterkits.html
2. A 25' immersion chiller
3. A 9 Gallon pot - for boiling
4. A 5 Gallon pot - for heating strike and mash water
5. Bayou Classic SP10 propane burner with the 20psi regulator
6. A mash paddle
7. Coleman extreme 52qt cooler to convert to a MLT (will this be ok for 5 gallon batches assuming I am batch sparging??)
8. Barley Crusher with 7# hopper - I figured if I am going to go all grain I might as well reap some of the benefits of buying bulk grain and crushing it myself.
9. Star San
10. A plethora ("jefe would you say I have a plethora?") of Bottles and Caps.

In addition to all the equipment, I have been lurking on HBT for over 6 months now and have read most of Palmers book several times over so I am trying to get as much research done before I take the plunge so there will be fewer surprises on brewday.

So the floor is yours. . .I value the opinions of those on this site and while it may be too late to really talk me out of this, I thought I should at least ask those here to try. . .also if there is anything in my list of equipment that is either missing or not needed please comment on that as well. Thanks all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2008, 06:17 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Sounds like you're well on your way! Looks like you're pretty well set-up, a LOT better than most of us were when we began! Congrats!

Ideally, you could find someone local to walk you through the process the first time, but if not - nothing wrong with jumping in feet-first.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:19 PM   #3
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

I won't try to talk you out of it. If you want to start of all-grain, then I stand up and applaud. Go for it. It really is not that much harder than extract. If you do a single infusion mash and batch sparge, you do not add much time to your brew day, either.

When it comes to brewing day, I also would have a healthy supply of light DME around. You just do not know where your efficiency will come out on that first batch, so pack a little insurance.

It's not a bad idea to have a secondary, either. However, you can wait until after your brew day to decide on that.

I also recommend some good brewing software, so that you can easily make adjustments on the fly (i.e., see above). It certainly is not necessary, but hell, you're buying a mill before you've even brewed a batch.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 04-15-2008, 06:31 PM   #4
GeoXP
Recipes 

I think most of us who ultimately went AG wish we had done it sooner. It's not nearly as difficult to do as I had it built up in my head to be. With extract kits you have to worry more about the freshness of the extract or else deal with the typical "twang" associated with it. To date I have never had an issue with AG ingredients and haven't produced an undrinkable beer from the process. I say, go for it!

Old 04-15-2008, 06:36 PM   #5
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

I would never dream of talking you out of brewing. I would encourage you to keep adding equipment to you system however. Misery loves company - if you don't believe me check out my garage!

Old 04-15-2008, 06:42 PM   #6
enohcs
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 9 Posts

DON'T DO IT....STEP AWAY FROM THE LEDGE!!!!
If I were you I'd find a local home brew club and tag along with someone on a brew day. There you will find out if you'll enjoy it, and also you'll see the equipment in use and likely learn what you need. If you're serious about going all grain you can expect to spend between $600-$1000 for a good, yet basic setup.

Don't be afraid...We brewers are a friendly type.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:46 PM   #7
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by enohcs
Speak for yourself!

Old 04-15-2008, 06:46 PM   #8
maltMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

The only thing I would change on your list would be your kettle sizes--especially your HLT kettle. I would go with at least a 7 gallon or larger. I do 5-6 gallon batches, I have a 7 gallon and I wish I had a 10 (but then again I'm fly sparging). It takes a long time to get your mash out/sparging water hot and it *really* sucks to run out of hot water in the middle of sparging. Inevitably you'll want to do a 2 hour boil, a larger batch size, your evaporation rate will be higher than you think, etc. so always go a bit bigger than you think on your kettles.

Other than that good luck & have fun!

Old 04-15-2008, 06:51 PM   #9
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by enohcs
Just don't ask BrewPastor about dry yeast.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 04-15-2008, 06:55 PM   #10
Danek
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Noooo!! Run like buggery in the other direction!! Brewing sucks up incredible amounts of time and no small amount of money, so get out before you get hooked. Do something less destructive. Like maybe heroin.

Or to put it another way, go for it. You sound very well prepared for a first batch, and going AG right from the start is certainly doable. The two bits of advice I found most helpful when starting are (i) everything tastes better with patience - the longer you're able to leave your beer, the better it'll be; and (ii) start your second batch soon after your first batch. Beer can take a couple of months to be ready for drinking, and five gallons doesn't last as long as you might think.

Welcome aboard!

Quick Reply