New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Talk to me about manual vorlaufing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2009, 08:05 PM   #1
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Talk to me about manual vorlaufing.

So I've been doing all grain for a while but can't seem to get one particular element ironed out: the vorlauf. I mash in a 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler with a stainless false bottom. No matter how much I manually recirculate, it won't seem to run clear. The method I use is to run off wort into a pitcher, then carefully pour the wort on top of the mash, trying not to disturb the grain bed. I've attempted this by pouring into a collander, into a bowl inside a collander, on a plate in the mash, on an upside-down plate in the mash, on a pie tin with holes punched in it, and several more I'm probably forgetting. Nothing seems to work. How is everyone else adding the wort back to the mash? After I recirculate the full pitcher (2 qt) about 8-10 times I give up and begin running off into the kettle. I've taken to putting a nylon mesh bag on the hose to catch all the big stuff, but all the little particles make it through. I didn't think it was affecting the beer, but I recieved a couple mentions of astringeny in the HBT contest so maybe the particles making it into the boil are causing problems. How do I get it to run clear??!

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Are you milling pretty aggressively?

Fly-sparging, I gather, because you mention not disrupting the grain bed?

Old 11-04-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
KingBrianI
Recipes 

standard gap on a barley crusher. conditioning the malt beforehand makes the situation worse.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Are you opening the valve multiple times while collecting? This will cause the initial rush each time you open the valve. I had your problem till I learned that, Now, once opened I collect till clear, move pitcher out of way and it drains into bucket. Then gently add runnings back.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 11-04-2009, 08:15 PM   #5
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If you're getting astringency, I wouldn't be so quick to assume the relatively minute amount of husk material getting into the boil is to blame, though.

When mentioning astringency on your scoresheets, did the judges identify a possible root cause? Were the beers in question heavily hopped? When I judge, I try to differentiate between hop-derived astringency that you might get in an IPA, for example, vs. tannins as a result of wonky mash conditions.

I suspect that a wort that won't clear may either have unconverted starches, but the particles slipping through might mean the false bottom may not be fitted properly?

Last edited by flyangler18; 11-04-2009 at 08:18 PM.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:16 PM   #6
Scimmia
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

A big ole hole in your false bottom? Even then, I'm not sure how conditioning could make it worse.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:17 PM   #7
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Could be your water profile as I believe flyangler was mentioning.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 11-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #8
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
Are you opening the valve multiple times while collecting? This will cause the initial rush each time you open the valve. I had your problem till I learned that, Now, once opened I collect till clear, move pitcher out of way and it drains into bucket. Then gently add runnings back.
Yes, I open and close it probably 8-10 times though doing it all at once wouldn't help as even when I drain into the kettle particles come through the whole time with a big rush of junk right as the siphon is lost at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post
If you're getting astringency, I wouldn't be so quick to assume the relatively minute amount of husk material getting into the boil is to blame, though.

When mentioning astringency on your scoresheets, did the judges identify a possible root cause? Were the beers in question heavily hopped? When I judge, I try to differentiate between hop-derived astringency that you might get in an IPA, for example, vs. tannins as a result of wonky mash conditions.

I suspect that a wort that won't clear may either have unconverted starches, but the particles slipping through might mean the false bottom may not be fitted properly?
It sounded like more of a tannin issue than a hoppy astringency. I don't think it's unconverted starches, I average 85-90% efficiency on most batches (which might be causing problems too, I'm going to start doing one big batch sparge instead of two smaller ones). The small particles are most probably the flour from the grind. They come through constantly except for some wheat beers or decoction mashes I've done where that thick layer of muck forms on top which seems to filter them out. Larger particles come through frequently too though. The false bottom fits fine, but I do think it lifts slightly sometimes allowing grain to go around it. There is always some grain compacted under it after I empty the tun. It must happen during stirring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimmia View Post
A big ole hole in your false bottom? Even then, I'm not sure how conditioning could make it worse.
I get more particles coming through since the whole hulls from a crushed conditioned malt don't allow the grain bed to compact and the little bits slip right through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
Could be your water profile as I believe flyangler was mentioning.
I've been adjusting my water profile for a long time now (mineral additions and/or 5.2 pH stabilizer). I'm pretty sure it's not that.

Thanks for the help everyone! I really hope to get this thing figured out.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:37 PM   #9
KingBrianI
Recipes 

How are other's pouring the wort back into the mash without disturbing the grain bed? I feel like if I could recirculate a few times without disturbing the grain bed I could get the wort to clear. But no matter how gently I try to pour it back in, and what I pour it on to disperse the stream, it seems that the grains get kicked up.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:44 PM   #10
electric_beer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Perhaps you should try switching to a braid or a manifold? Sorry I'm not much help, but I've had a lot of success with my manifold...

Quick Reply