Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Taking Partial Mash Pre-boil OG Reading

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 04:02 AM   #1
frozt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Taking Partial Mash Pre-boil OG Reading

Hello all,
I'm planning a partial mash brew for my next batch and in all of the tutorials I've checked I can't seem to answer one question. After the mini-mash and sparge, do you cool down the wort sample to a reasonable temp for taking a hydro. reading or read it hot and add a point for each 10 degrees F?

Before anyone mentions that it's not necessary to take a reading when just getting into the partial mash, I'm aware of this; however, I'd like to be able to quantify my efficiency and more or less prove that I did something right.

One other minor question - I'm planning on mashing my 3.75 lbs. of grains using muslin bags rather than the jumbo nylon bags due to the cost of the jumbo bags. Does anyone have experience doing this? I was thinking of splitting the grain among maybe 2-3 bags as the muslin bags are smaller.

Thanks

Primary:
Bottled: Modded Sierra Madre Pale Ale, Irish Red, Ska True Blonde Clone, Chocolate Stout (Partial Mash), Dead Ringer IPA (Partial Mash), Cider, Dead Ringer IPA (Extract), Orfy's Mild(AG), Busty Brunette Blonde(AG), Dead Ringer(AG), Chocolate Stout(AG), Pumpkin Ale(AG), Tits Up IIPA(AG)
Planned: Framboise

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
how1
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 40

1. I would not waste my time cooling down the wort. Read it hot.
2. I use 5 gallon paint strainer bags for my grains. You can get a package of two for 3 or 4 dollars at Lowes or Home Depot in the paint section. Bought a new package today. Works perfectly.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #3
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I wouldn't read it hot as temperature corrections of wort at > 100F are notoriously inaccurate.
Either take a small sample and cool it in the freezer, then add it back to the main body after you have taken the reading, or get a refractometer.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #4
hnsfeigel
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf
I wouldn't read it hot as temperature corrections of wort at > 100F are notoriously inaccurate.
Either take a small sample and cool it in the freezer, then add it back to the main body after you have taken the reading, or get a refractometer.

-a.
+1 On my 1st real PM (my last batch) I figured I could just correct for temp and tried a hot reading after mash. The hydrometer basically disappeared. I didn't have anything clean to cool a sample and had to go without that reading. Was planning on doing what ajf said next time.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
frozt
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys! I guess I'm gonna take a sample and put it in the fridge when the time comes. Sounds simple enough.

Primary:
Bottled: Modded Sierra Madre Pale Ale, Irish Red, Ska True Blonde Clone, Chocolate Stout (Partial Mash), Dead Ringer IPA (Partial Mash), Cider, Dead Ringer IPA (Extract), Orfy's Mild(AG), Busty Brunette Blonde(AG), Dead Ringer(AG), Chocolate Stout(AG), Pumpkin Ale(AG), Tits Up IIPA(AG)
Planned: Framboise

Old 03-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #6
doctorgonzo79
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i keep a small ice bath handy for this and put the sample in an 8 oz measuring cup and set it in there until cooled. it only takes a few minutes. i tried putting the sampling tube in the fridge but it takes too long for my taste.

Quick Reply