Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Switching from all extrct to all grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2013, 12:36 AM   #1
coldwaterbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Switching from all extrct to all grain

I am wanting to make the switch from extract to all grain I've done some resurch but not sure where to start any advice

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 12:41 AM   #2
vlucchetti
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 13

read a lot here, then jump in. It's what I did. Should have done it sooner.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:51 AM   #3
PeteNMA
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

1) Buy a 10 gallon or larger cooler, add a ball valve (search for a thread on here, or go to one of the supply sites and order a kit) and a bazooka screen, and you have a mash tun for roughly $100

2) Make sure you can do full volume boils in a reasonably sized pot. I have the turkey fryer kit that Target sell which does the trick nicely.

3) Get a wort chiller. Immersion are simpler to use and largely cheaper too. I have the 25ft stainless steel one from Midwest and it works great.

4) Buy a couple of all-grain kits for your first few goes. You don't need to be messing with recipes from the get-go, its easier to get something tried and tested and brew that.

5) Don't be afraid to do things "wrong" the first couple of times if it means you can do something important like hit mash temps or sparge volumes. There is definitely a difference to be had when you can hit all the parameters on the nose straight away, but don't panic if something doesn't go right first time.

6) Have fun. It's definitely a more rewarding experience brewing with grain than extract.

Quick Reply