Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Switching to AG, need some guidance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
JacobiusRex
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Switching to AG, need some guidance

Hey guys, looking for some pointers on all-grain brewing. Have a system in my head but not sure if I'm overlooking anything. Right now, I've got:

- 9 gallon brew kettle w/ 1 spigot
-13 gallon mash/lauter tun
-ss immersion wort chiller
-a couple smaller (wanna say 5 gallon) pots

As it goes in my mind's eye, I'm heating the strike water in my 9 gallon kettle, transferring it to my MLT + grains, mashing, transferring wort to same 9 gallon kettle, and using the smaller pots for my sparge water. After I chill the wort, I'm not sure what a good way to transfer it to the fermenter would be. Maybe a bazooka screen inside my brew kettle to separate? Also, I'm a little unsure as to sparging in general. Thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions/links to relevant threads!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Is this equipment you are thinking of purchasing, or equipment you have?

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
Woodland Brewing Research Blog Applied Science for Better Beer.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobiusRex View Post
After I chill the wort, I'm not sure what a good way to transfer it to the fermenter would be. Maybe a bazooka screen inside my brew kettle to separate? Also, I'm a little unsure as to sparging in general. Thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions/links to relevant threads!
I use the kettle screen in my boil kettle. It helps to seperate out whole hops, which I rarely use, and does a decent job of getting out a lot of other stuff.

With that setup you should be okay to batch sparge. If you are going to fly sparge you would need a hot liquor tank.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 12-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
forstmeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 32

A bazooka screen is fine for the transfer.

Sparging can be done 2 ways. Either you continuously add water as you are running wort to your kettle or you can do it in batches. Fly (continuous) sparging is good if you have a false bottom. Batch sparging works well if you have a screen setup in your mash tun.

I drink (homebrew), therefore I am (gassy)

Old 12-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
JacobiusRex
Recipes 

Thanks guys. Gonna do some more research on batch sparging, but good to know I'm on the right track.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 464 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 209

IMO you need a second kettle. My reasoning is that the first kettle is fine for your strike water and using that in the tun, however you do not have another kettle to begin collecting your runnings. The first kettle would still be required to heat and deliver your sparge water. Unless you wanted to collect all your runnings in buckets and then transfer all the wort into the kettle. Remember you will be collecting at least 6.5-7.5 gallons of wort for a 5 gallon batch.

Having another kettle also allows you to begin heating your wort as you are sparging and shaves a little time.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 12-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
jay29
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Get two kettles.

Boil one SEPARATE gallon of water, not from the recipe, to heat up mash tun and dump that water when you transfer strike water so there is no heat loss because the tun is already warmed. I use this style of mash tun: http://www.flickr.com/photos/webcareer79/3266547587/. I have hit my exact temperature every time so far.

Use paint strainer bags for your hop additions. Cut two holes in it so you can put a dowel through and rest it across the mouth of the kettle and just add the hops in the bag during the boil. Makes life a lot easier.

I am going on the 5th all grain batch and have learned lots to make it as easy as possible.

Kegged: MT
Drinking on tap: Jamil's Brown Porter, Jamil's English IPA

Quick Reply