The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Switched from Braided Hose to False Bottom - Big Efficiency Drop

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2013, 01:35 AM   #11
Lumpyyyyy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I think you may be right. I use beersmith to calculate my values, but I'm pretty sure it's not doing it correctly because of the false bottom thing.

Also, I have a diptube that goes through the center of the false bottom, almost all the way to to the bottom of the keggle. And I batch sparge, so my thought was to drain the keggle as quickly as possible after vorlauf.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013, 03:41 AM   #12
beres47
Recipes 

Would you have to assume a higher volume of sparge water for your loss under false bottom? I switched to batch sparge with rice hulls an my braid. I still was slightly low on my efficiency a bit.

I have a 20 gal pot and used 1.5 lbs of rice hulls to slightly cover the braid. Would using more hulls and more water factored in for that change make my efficiency change at all? I added 2.5 quarts to my water to factor them in. I have the space for more but I don't want to much water and make my gravity issue worse. Ideas? Resolution?

Thanks

Old 09-05-2013, 03:49 AM   #13
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

The easy way to handle it is to calculate for 1.25qt/lb and then add one gallon for your strike. That way your mash is consistent from batch to batch.

Yes, you are batch sparging but once most of the wort is out, you will lose siphon. Right after that happens, another 1/2 gallon of wort will drip through the false bottom since it was temporarily clinging to the grain. Trust me, if you slow it down towards the end when about another gallon was going to drain out, you'll get more efficient lautering.

There's no reason to change your sparge volume.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 09-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #14
riored4v
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
The easy way to handle it is to calculate for 1.25qt/lb and then add one gallon for your strike. That way your mash is consistent from batch to batch.

Yes, you are batch sparging but once most of the wort is out, you will lose siphon. Right after that happens, another 1/2 gallon of wort will drip through the false bottom since it was temporarily clinging to the grain. Trust me, if you slow it down towards the end when about another gallon was going to drain out, you'll get more efficient lautering.

There's no reason to change your sparge volume.
Would 1 gallon addl strike water be enough to compensate for the amount under the FB? I haven't taken an exact measurement as to how much is under the FB, which is why I'm asking.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:48 AM   #15
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Yes, a 15" false bottom sits at the 7/8ths of a gallon mark.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 09-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #16
riored4v
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Yes, a 15" false bottom sits at the 7/8ths of a gallon mark.
Perfect. Thanks man.

Looking forward to the next brewday now. Hoping between this and a mash out, my effeciency will jump up noticeably.

Quick Reply