New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Switch to stainless fermenters inexpensively

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 03:02 AM   #1
bioguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Default Switch to stainless fermenters inexpensively

I broke my 2nd 6.5 gal. glass fermenter in less than a year (after 20 + years with no breakage). So, I want to switch to stainless.

I typically do parti-gyle and make three 5-gal batches. I had three 6.5 gal glass carboys I was using as fermenters. I keg in 5-gal kegs. A simple switch might be to get 1/4 kegs to convert to fermenters. Anybody know where I can get some inexpensively and legally?

I could reduce batch size and ferment in cornelius kegs (i have a few extra); but I'm not excited about that idea. Brewing less beer for the same amount of time is not a direction I want to go.

I could use four 5 gal kegs and then combine into three for kegging--but that would make my big beer smaller and my small beer bigger.

Your thoughts please.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 05:29 AM   #2
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 24

You can buy them brand new from Stout Tanks: http://conical-fermenter.com/products/kegs/ $99 a pop...

Keg #1: Bell's Two-Hearted Ale
Keg #2: Cascadian Stout
Keg #3: BMC West
Keg #4 RHESB 6.1

Fermenter #1 Thor's Hammer

Superbowl champions.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:35 AM   #3
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I would just get the tall 1/4 barrel kegs from Stout Tanks and go on without using glass. They hold 7.75 gallons, so you can ferment up to about 7.25 gallons (with care).

I'm working on a fitting that will allow you to ferment and then transfer to serving keg with a CO2 push. It will also have a thermowell that you can send a sensor down to get a reading from the center of the fermenting beer. I've been using a version of this setup for about a year (or more) now, with great results. If you want to go cheap you can use either an orange carboy cap, or a large universal bung with airlock. I like the CO2 push to extract the finished beer since it means zero lifting of the fermenting keg. So, you can ferment wherever you want/need and then transfer to serving keg. Once the keg is empty, then clean it (far lighter to do that).

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Quick Reply