New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Sweet Orange Peel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 02:19 AM   #11
mcwilcr
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmock79

Thats good to hear, my brew buddy swears that the fresh zest is going to make my beer so bitter we won't be able to drink it. He watches some brewing tv guy on YouTube, I believe that's where he is getting that info!

I think I'm going to zest up 2 or 3 oranges and see what happens!!!

Thanks fellas.
Its the pith that will make it bitter not the zest. Just be sure to stop before you get into it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 02:23 AM   #12
IrishBrewer74
I like beer!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwilcr

Its the pith that will make it bitter not the zest. Just be sure to stop before you get into it.
+1 to this.... Go buy a lemon zester. They are only a couple of bucks and are designed to only shave off the zest. Otherwise as you are shaving/grating off the colored part of the peel, stop just short of getting to the white spongy part.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #13
Calichusetts
Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 475

I've actually used chopped orange peel (fresh) with the pith and have not seen much in an increase in bitterness...same with grapefruit. But everyone's palette is different

Oh yeah, and a microplane zester for the win, use what the pros use:
http://www.amazon.com/Microplane-40020-Classic-Zester-Grater/dp/B00004S7V8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331893942&sr=8-1

Good luck...and experiement with different types of oranges too...I am trying tangelos, tangerines, and naval oranges tonight

Old 03-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #14
Skipper74
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmock79 View Post
anyone have a favorite orange they like to use?
I just made a wit using clementine zest two weeks ago. The hydro sample I took the other day tasted great, perfect amount of flavor with the zest of five clementines. Keep in mind, though, that clementines are much smaller than regular oranges or even tangerines. I also used a microplane grater, which really only pulls off the very top layer of zest. At least here in the Northeast, the supermarkets are filled with clementines right now.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #15
Calichusetts
Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper74 View Post
At least here in the Northeast, the supermarkets are filled with clementines right now.
Citrus is in season! Instead of having to pick through yesterday at the store, I could basically grab at random and get a ripe, unbruised orange.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:47 AM   #16
aldousbee
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I used fresh orange peel in my recent brew, it was awesome! I used 4 oranges for a 5 gallon batch. However I made a mistake of accidentally including the white parts or the pith - It had this metallic bitterness but still delicious and drinkable.

Quick Reply